Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

The Battle of Sleep

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:17 AM
  • 19 Replies
Doea anyone else have trouble getting their child to go to sleep? Every night it the same battle to get my son to stay still long enough that he can fall asleep. Every night its melt down after melt down and Im just exhausted. For instance yesterday he woke up about 8 am. No nap all day and then fought me with every fiber of his being until finally passing out at about 1230 am, and then wouldnt you know he wakes up at 6:45 am this morning and has a melt down because I wont give him a popsicle for breakfast. To make matters Even more difficult I have a 7 month old who is a light sleeper and wakes up at every melt down and then has one of his own. Did I mention that hes ebf and apparently going through a growth spurt and nurses ever hour? Any advice on how to calm my son down and get him to go to sleep?? I feel like a zombie :-\
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auntkissy
by Karissa on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs momma! Just having one child is tiring, but having two with one going through a growth spurt.. oh momma I'm so sorry for you!
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Lavender oil in the bath water and melatonin. We did discuss the melatonin with the kids doctor.
ScootBootsMommy
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:01 AM
I gave him 1.5 mg of melatonin at 830 pm :-\

Quoting lady-J-Rock: Lavender oil in the bath water and melatonin. We did discuss the melatonin with the kids doctor.
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Does he like baths? We added the lavender oil earlier this week. It really has calmed both of the younger two kids.

Quoting ScootBootsMommy: I gave him 1.5 mg of melatonin at 830 pm :-\

Quoting lady-J-Rock: Lavender oil in the bath water and melatonin. We did discuss the melatonin with the kids doctor.
Jenn8604
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Lavender scented epsom salts in his bath and melatonin 20 mins before bed. If it doesn't work after a few days of adding the Epsom salt it may be time to discuss with whoever said its ok to take the melatonin originally(pedi or other dr) about a higher dosage of the melatonin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh and to avoid meltdowns over popsicles for breakfast offer his favorite breakfast food and he gets a popsicle as a reward for eating all his whatever. First whatever, then popsicle. Works like a charm and both get what you want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Can you exercise him some how? Not right before bed but in the afternoon? A long walk? A bike ride. Make sure he's as to use up some energy. Then have a calm and slow evening with limited stimulation an hour before bed time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shell3m
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
We do a First and Then board. First you stay in bed all night..Then you can play a game in the morning. Or whatever he loves to do. That works for Dean sometimes...other times I'll lay in bed with him or put on my shirts on a pillow next to hum for comfort.
ScootBootsMommy
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Thanks for all of the advice ladies. We had an ice storm so we've been stuck in the house since Monday and havent been able to leave. Its finally starting to melt so maybe tomorrow we can get out and burn some energy. Im gonna try and do the lavender bath too, where can you get the oil?
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:44 AM
I didn't know they made lavender scented Epsom salts.

Quoting Jenn8604: Lavender scented epsom salts in his bath and melatonin 20 mins before bed. If it doesn't work after a few days of adding the Epsom salt it may be time to discuss with whoever said its ok to take the melatonin originally(pedi or other dr) about a higher dosage of the melatonin.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN