Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The doctor says its time to let go :(

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:33 PM
  • 12 Replies

I recently got a job, first real job in 10 years (as in not under the table, and not through the city councel program) 

but the schedual is not allowing me to work only during school hours. 

DD is 10. she is immature in some ways, and ahead in others. she is so smart. but her emotional developtment, and her cognitive development is sometimes closer to 5 years. 

her school is litterally right down the road. with tons of parents, crossing guards, and other kids on the sidewalk. its a block and a half, no turns, just one straight line. 

her psych suggested us giving it a try to let her walk to and from school. my mom watches her, but has an ostomy bag and is recovering from surgery and chemo, so its hard for her to be able to pick DD up. we thought it would just be a day or two in training, but this is my schedual for the next two weeks!! (12-5) 

im just so nervous!! a few months ago, the bus dropped DD off just maybe 10 feet away from her normal spot, and she panicked, went the wrong way, and ended up at a gas station!! 

anyone else have this issue? what do you think? any ideas on how to slowly introduce this to her? 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Are there any other kids walking that way? Someone you can trust?Are there any after school programs?
jowen905
by Jan on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Is there another child or child/parent that walks the same block and a half that you could ask to walk with your dd? Anyway the crossing guard could make sure she heads in the right direction?

Maybe take her up to school and practice the walk with her, then let her pretend you're not there and practice it by herself.  Point out objects that she'll need to look for to make sure she's going the right way.

I think I'd really try to get a "helper" to walk with her if at all possible. 

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Im going to ask about school programs. we just moved here in with my parents though, i dont know anyone in the neighborhood yet. there is a boy next door, that walks to the same school, but honestly ive seen DD talk to him, and the poor boy was so nice and tollerant but i could tell she was annoying him and driving him nuts. that would be a last result. my brother in law suggested taking her to school, tell her she gets to walk home today, but then go in my car and supervise her walking and make sure she can do it. 

my fear is yeah she can do it once, twice, even for a week, but then what if something happens, she has an anxiety attacks, panics, and gets lost. 

maybe im just being an over worrier but i cant help it kwim? 

Quoting wildchild.com: Are there any other kids walking that way? Someone you can trust?Are there any after school programs?

aj23
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Maybe you can ask the boy next door to keep an eye on her and if she takes off in some way she's not supposed to for him to get an adult asap to help. That way he's not obligated to talk to her but you have an extra set of eyes on her.

kinshipcaremama
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I would pay an older kid or another parent to walk her home until I was positive she could do it alone.  You can't afford to lose your job over this.  If that doesn't work you could look into the after school program.  The one at my daughter's school is really affordable and even offers scholarships.

hockeyfans30
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Does she know how to use a phone?  Could you get her a cheap tracfone or something to carry so if she gets lost she can call someone?

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Practice, practice, practice so it becomes her new habit/routine. Watching in the car for awhile is a good idea.
mustbeGRACE
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Maybe pay the boy to make sure she gets there okay if he's going that way anyways.And if you can trust him completely. Perhaps check with his parents?

It doesn't sound like she's able to do it at this time though it sounds like she'll be able to do it eventually.

She does need to learn to become more independent, but it's called developmental delay for a reason.

Predators prey on people who look unsure of themselves or who look as though they don't know where they are or where they're going.

Take care.

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Ask the school if there is another parent that walks the same way home and if you can talk to them. Maybe you can work out something with them? 

shell3m
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM
This.

Quoting mypbandj:

Ask the school if there is another parent that walks the same way home and if you can talk to them. Maybe you can work out something with them? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)