Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seeking advice...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM
  • 8 Replies

Well, the time has finally arrived...

My 6yo came home from school yesterday, and someone had taught her the name of a female body part that starts with the letter V.

How should I handle this?  Ignore it?  Of course, once she gets a word in her head, it takes a long time to get to a point where she doesn't say the word anymore.

TIA. 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I'd just treat it as any other body part and encourage her to use it appropriately.  If she starts talking about it at random places, tell her it's a 'private' part and should only be talked about with her parents/doctor in private.  It's not like you walk around saying feet, or arms or something all the time to where saying vagina should just become common place.  She'll learn much worse words, I'd pick your battles.

Macphee
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Ummm... my ASD kid learned penis, vagina, and anus years ago. Its not bad in my opinion. I wonder why book series has one of the human body. My NT five year old asked where babies come from. He figured out where.
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Personally, I dont' have a problem with that word. Its not a bad word, it's just a part of the body. If you don't want her singing vagina vagina vagina vagina all day, just don't give her any attention for it. Cause if you try to stop her, she is going to figure out that you don't want her to say it. And then she will say it more! 

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I would explain to her that it's a part of the female anatomy but that it's not a part we talk about in public. When bathing my dd I tell her to wash her vagina. I give the proper name even to my son. I just feel it's better that they know the real name of it. 

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM

My son is a huge repeater too.  Any word that i don't want him repeating over and over, everywhere I try not to make a big deal of it.  If he asks what something means, I non-chalantly answer him while washing dishes, sweeping the floor, etc.  If I look him in the eye, answer him, if he senses this is important he will run with it and go overboard repeating it everywhere.  My advice is to answer it but not give it any attention.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:34 AM

I'm not there as my son is nonverbal but good luck!

KnittingMomC
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, evetyone!  We told her last night to only do "that" in the bathroom or in her bedroom.  She was OK with that! 

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:52 AM

If she is saying one word over and over and over again with absolutely no function, I would ignore it or try to redirect. Don't have an issue with the word, have an issue if the word isn't serving a function.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)