Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:59 PM
  • 10 Replies

Just wondering as I've read things here and there. My son is 5, asd and is my little string bean. He's always been long and is usually measured as tall for his age. At the same time he is skinny. I have to buy pants with the adjustable waists so they don't fall off him. Is your child normal height and weight for his/her age? Or are they taller, shorter, skinnier, thicker for their age? I'm just curious if there's any connection with asd and size.

Thanks ladies

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HippoCat
by Hadley on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:09 PM

My son is lean and mean. I don't know how he grows and has so many muscles with how little he eats, but he is a really muscular little guy. He never stops climbing, jumping and moving so I get the muscles, but he really doesn't eat much at all. He's probably 50th percentile. He has a tiny little waist too.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:10 PM

My daughter is exactly like your son. 95 to 100 percentile in height and only about 40 percentile in weight .... BMI is around 25th percentile. We are trying to get a little more weight on her because of her growth spurts. She'll be 3 in May and is 39inches tall. Most people think she's 4.

jowen905
by Jan on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:21 PM

My son was always pretty skinny (we had the adjustable waist pant too, always on the smallest fitting! - at 75% for height and 20% for weight, until the last 2 or 3 years, when he has grown like a horse.  Now 12, he's at 90% for height and weight, solid and muscular.  Puberty has arrived!

blue.butterfly
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:47 PM

My son is 6 years old, 47 inches tall and maybe 47 pounds. He is lean and I also have to buy the pants with the adjustable waist. I mean, he seems to be getting taller but not bulkier. He drinks Pediasure to supplement his diet. I always say he "eats to live" and doesn't "live to eat". Lol

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:20 PM

my kids tend to be in the 90th percentile for height and weight. 

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM

My son is within range for everything. Not too big or small short or tall LOL

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:19 PM

My oldest is in the 90 percentile for height and weight. My youngest is within weight range for his height. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:32 AM

My son is 5 years old, 39 pounds and 39.5 inches tall.  He's very short for his age.  He gets daily growth hormone injections to help him grow.

mamalena137
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Thanks ladies. I just know some people worry that my son's not healthy  since he's so skinny. He eats a lot though. The doctor's never had any issues. He says his growth has been normal. Oh well. Just one of those things. I'm not worried.

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 5 years old. He in a wheelchair so i cant say how tall he is. Doc wont check cause dont want to make him upset. But he is tall and skinny. Shirts size 7t. Pants size 4t.   I hope that some help. My other son who is 2 years old is not special needs.  He in size 6t shirts, and pants size 3t and even 4t.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)