Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6th Grade Science Camp

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

Bugga is currently in 5th grade, but I'm starting to get nervous about next year. See, our school district sends sixth graders to a week long science camp during the second half of the year. It is a sleep away camp, depending on which one they choose for the year it could either be on an island off the coast or it could be hours away from here by bus up in the mountains. Either way, it is not like he could come home every night and go during the day for activities. 

I could probably sign up as a chaperone but my migraines make it difficult for me to know if I'd be well enough to chaperone that whole time. And even if I was, it's still a lot of constant stimulation for him. I've told you guys about this year's field trip fiasco where they took the 5th graders to the islands for a long day and wouldn't let me chaperone and then got all offended when Bugga acted out and they later declared that he couldn't go on another field trip unless I chaperoned it. Pissed me off, but that's besides the point. The point is he couldn't even last ONE DAY, how will he last FIVE? 

I'm considering opting out of the trip, but I think he'd feel really left out if I did that. Yet, if I let him go, I think he'd be miserable. Thoughts? If it were your child what would you do?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Id plan a trip to disneyworld for the week theyd be away,,, LOL.. i dont donthings I know are too tough for Sam.. (And me watching) unless he is totally up for the challenge.. So I find bigger, better thigs to do....where I know it is still out of comfort zone, where I know he will need to be stretched and challenged... Where I know I could teach a few things and enjoy.. And NOT worry about how the week was going..., 

but thats me. :) 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Sam's mom...plan a different kind of trip and just don't have him go.  Hugs!

AspieAuntie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:17 PM

That's a great idea! Disneyworld is expensive, but frankly so is this science camp! They have families scrimping and saving and doing all sorts of fundraisers all year long to send their kids. I had been wondering what the school offered to kids who couldn't afford to go on the trip, but I think you're right, I think we should just pull him out that week and go somewhere fun that he'd enjoy. And now I have over a year to save up for it, lol.

Quoting SamMom912:

Id plan a trip to disneyworld for the week theyd be away,,, LOL.. i dont donthings I know are too tough for Sam.. (And me watching) unless he is totally up for the challenge.. So I find bigger, better thigs to do....where I know it is still out of comfort zone, where I know he will need to be stretched and challenged... Where I know I could teach a few things and enjoy.. And NOT worry about how the week was going..., 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I know its expensive.. (we just booked a trip,Ye-OUCH is what my wallet said..LOL) But you get the idea.. It doesnt have to be disney, just something he would love that he would beneift from that wont cause you or him stress... something that will get his mind off not going-- but that he would be like "Oh Yeah! Id much rather go to ___ then go to science class!!" 

Quoting AspieAuntie:

That's a great idea! Disneyworld is expensive, but frankly so is this science camp! They have families scrimping and saving and doing all sorts of fundraisers all year long to send their kids. I had been wondering what the school offered to kids who couldn't afford to go on the trip, but I think you're right, I think we should just pull him out that week and go somewhere fun that he'd enjoy. And now I have over a year to save up for it, lol.

Quoting SamMom912:

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My son's class goes to camp next year too. It's over nite for 3 days, 30 minutes away.  I will make a decision in Sept. We are at an advantage, camp is closer and shorter. I say if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Finding another event is a great idea!

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Those sleep away camps have been a problem for my daughter. The school promotes them as wonderful bonding experiences and as far as I can tell they cause my daughter to feel more alone or isolated.  I went along as a chaperone for the 5th grade science camp and recently the 7th grade science camp.  Neither experience was particularly good but my daughter so wanted to go on both trips.  The 7th grade science camp was just 2 weeks ago and my daughter now does not want to do some of the day field trips now. 

If your son is willing to miss the science camp, then the alternate fun trip is a good idea.

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe finding another event to do is a good idea. Especially if you aren't able to go on the science camp too. 

Aidan is only in 1st grade right now, but I have already thought about what arrangements would be made if he went on the 6th grade outdoor ed trip. 

My DH said that he'd take the week off from work and chaperone. But I have heard that there are some of the special ed teachers who would go too. So we'll just have to wait and see. 

Good luck! 

AspieAuntie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear your daughter had such a bad time. That's just what I'm afraid of. For the one day field trip Bugga acted out but didn't seem to realize that there had been a problem (other than mentioning the dirty looks some of the chaperones gave him...grrr) but I just know he'd be getting more negative feedback then just dirty looks by the end of five days and he'd probably be so overwhelmed he'd have a meltdown infront of his peers which so far he's avoided doing. I've talked with my mother (Bugga's legal guardian) and we've agreed that he won't be going. We'll find a fun alternative :)

Quoting Bobcatridge:

Those sleep away camps have been a problem for my daughter. The school promotes them as wonderful bonding experiences and as far as I can tell they cause my daughter to feel more alone or isolated.  I went along as a chaperone for the 5th grade science camp and recently the 7th grade science camp.  Neither experience was particularly good but my daughter so wanted to go on both trips.  The 7th grade science camp was just 2 weeks ago and my daughter now does not want to do some of the day field trips now. 

If your son is willing to miss the science camp, then the alternate fun trip is a good idea.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting SamMom912:

I agree. Unless I know he can handle the challenge, I err on the side of caution. I want to expand his ability to do things more independently but not to the point of him breaking down, or less its just creating stress which will make him more in his shell.

Little step at a time...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)