Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crossed eyes??

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Jen
  • 18 Replies

Mobile Photo

He just saw the eye dr in December and passed with flying colors but look at this picture! I took it on Monday and tonight I looked at it closely and noticed his eye is turning in!
Would you take him back to the dr? Or should I just wait and see and keep and eye on it? (LOL)
No pun intended!
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

He has stribismus.  Weak eye muscles cause the eyes to turn.  I would recommend you take him to a vision therapist.  My daughter developed strabismus after a fall when she was 3.  She was having fun throwing herself on her big round pillow that was leaning against the bay window seat.  Instead of landing on the pillow, she hit the edge of the window seat with the bridge of her nose.  She couldn't tell us where she got hurt and I thought it was her forehead so that's where I put the ice until later that evening when her nose started to turn blue.  A trip to the doctor for xrays reavealed no broken nose, but a few weeks later sitting at the kitchen table across from her I noticed her eyes didn't track properly.  After getting into see an opthamologist, I was told surgery was the only option and that her accident didn't cause (bull).  They clip the muscles holding the eye to "tighten it".  The surgery has a high fail rate and is purely cosmetic.  Therapy is needed to restore stereo-optic vision.  I opted against surgery and just did vision therapy.  She did vision therapy for 4 years.  Her eyes no longer turn in and she has stereo-optic vision.   Please research vision therapy and strabismus.

HippoCat
by Hadley on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Huh... Does he do this a lot? Maybe he is just trying to look at the train at a different angle. 

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:11 AM

The way to see if it is true misalignment is get a picture of him looking at the camera dead on and look at the light reflection in the pupil. The reflection should be in the same spot in each eye. If they are unequal, it could be strabismus. r has strabismus. 

TheJerseyGirl
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:57 AM

My oldest sometimes had that look...he's 19 now. He has huge eyes, too, so it was always easy to see. At one point they said it was just weak eye muscles but he never had any correction for it...it was really that slight. He has also worn glasses/contacts since 3rd grade...maybe that helped?  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:18 AM

I agree with the first comment.  Strabismis.  Brady has the same thing.  Except his eye turns out instead of in. His is extremely mild and he goes to the eye doctor once per year to have a follow up.  It's not bad enough to need glasses, patch, or surgery.  

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:40 AM
I've actually heard of vision therapy. My friends dd did it for awhile.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

He has stribismus.  Weak eye muscles cause the eyes to turn.  I would recommend you take him to a vision therapist.  My daughter developed strabismus after a fall when she was 3.  She was having fun throwing herself on her big round pillow that was leaning against the bay window seat.  Instead of landing on the pillow, she hit the edge of the window seat with the bridge of her nose.  She couldn't tell us where she got hurt and I thought it was her forehead so that's where I put the ice until later that evening when her nose started to turn blue.  A trip to the doctor for xrays reavealed no broken nose, but a few weeks later sitting at the kitchen table across from her I noticed her eyes didn't track properly.  After getting into see an opthamologist, I was told surgery was the only option and that her accident didn't cause (bull).  They clip the muscles holding the eye to "tighten it".  The surgery has a high fail rate and is purely cosmetic.  Therapy is needed to restore stereo-optic vision.  I opted against surgery and just did vision therapy.  She did vision therapy for 4 years.  Her eyes no longer turn in and she has stereo-optic vision.   Please research vision therapy and strabismus.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:41 AM
See, that's what I was thinking too. Idk though cause that seems weird.

Quoting HippoCat:

Huh... Does he do this a lot? Maybe he is just trying to look at the train at a different angle. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:42 AM
I know about the reflection in the same spot technique but the trick is getting him to 1) look you straight in the eyes for more than a second and 2) look straight at the camera. LOL

I'm going to be trying that today though!!

Quoting 03071012:

The way to see if it is true misalignment is get a picture of him looking at the camera dead on and look at the light reflection in the pupil. The reflection should be in the same spot in each eye. If they are unequal, it could be strabismus. r has strabismus. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:45 AM
I can't imagine trying to get a 3 yr old to wear glasses so I really hope this is nothing. I don't know how moms with littles in glasses do it. I've never needed glasses and I'm .... old.
And my bigs are teens and don't wear glasses either. It's just dh and I made him go to the eye dr right after we got married. He was so stubborn and didn't want to go. Who knows how much earlier he could have worn glasses.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

My oldest sometimes had that look...he's 19 now. He has huge eyes, too, so it was always easy to see. At one point they said it was just weak eye muscles but he never had any correction for it...it was really that slight. He has also worn glasses/contacts since 3rd grade...maybe that helped?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Do you think there's any chance it's just how he's looking at the toy? But then again, I see kids and people look at toys like that and their eyes don't go crossed.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I agree with the first comment.  Strabismis.  Brady has the same thing.  Except his eye turns out instead of in. His is extremely mild and he goes to the eye doctor once per year to have a follow up.  It's not bad enough to need glasses, patch, or surgery.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)