Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I know I shouldn't be upset/sad

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM
  • 21 Replies
Everything with autism is still so new for my family. One of my friends sent me a viedo yesterday of her 2 year old son (exact birthday as Jocelyn's) saying "happy valentines day, I love you". I cried as soon as I saw it. Just sucked bc Jocelyn says maybe 3 words and 3 signs. I know she didn't mean it as a dig but I was so upset and I guess jealous that her typical son can talk so well.
Sorry just had a poor me moment
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:07 AM
2 moms liked this
Hugs. I totally understand. It can be really hard at times to see other kids.
Jodee24
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:10 AM
Thanks I hate feeling like that but it was a kick in gut. I guess it was more bc they are the exact age

Quoting Nickmom1118: Hugs. I totally understand. It can be really hard at times to see other kids.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I know, believe me. I think that's what upsets me the most is when I see him with his peers...it's the one real time that his autism is so obvious.

Hugs, momma...those times aren't easy.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh... I know how much that hurts....its SUCH an open wound for me too... HUG.. Im Sorry!!
We just want SO MUCH for our kids.. and THAT reminder.. That they arent "typical" can be so hurtful...

In those moments, I try to remind myself that the road to GREATNESS is NEVER typical... and MY kid will be GREAT! As will YOURS!

AylinsMom
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:46 AM
2 moms liked this

My child did the 3 word thing also and suddenly progressed to making longer sentences. Get a PECS or communication board book. If she is not in school yet go to an autism web site and get the flip books. Where she points to pictures to learn how to make sentences. For example: She points to the word "I" then the word "want" and the PECS book had pics of like juice, cookies, etc. and then another pic for "PLEASE". So she points and you go over the words "I want juice please"...........You can even make the flip book yourself. I can't upload pics on my comp. so maybe another mom on here can show you a pic of what I'm talking about. You can make these boards yourself. I encourage you to do this. I don't know how old your child is or if she is in preK but it will help.

johnns
by Johnna on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM
I know, right? My cousins little girl is only 2 weeks older than Sally, and she's having meaningful conversions with her momma! Mine talks through movies- but than again, so do my teen boys! Lol
Over the years I've tried to redirect that energy. I mean, I don't want my cousin to have a special needs child or anyone for that matter. I just don't want that negative energy going through me- I've got enough to deal with- the pity pot gets in my way. That attitude didn't happen over night- most of those thoughts happened around the dx.
I try to be grateful. I've got 3 beautiful children- two which are NT. Things happen for a reason. Sally is my sunshine- not always- lol, 2-3 yro she was like a cup of spoiled milk! Lol But both of us, all of us have grown so much in our heart's, mind, & souls.
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM
I know. I'm sorry momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillettemomma
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

This is odds pecs book like ailymsmom was talking about.... odd is verbal now but we still use pictures for her schedule and as behavior cues when needed...... you can down load a free trial of board maker for 30 days to get the pics or you can ask a speech therapist.....
Jodee24
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Thank you so much!

Quoting AylinsMom:

My child did the 3 word thing also and suddenly progressed to making longer sentences. Get a PECS or communication board book. If she is not in school yet go to an autism web site and get the flip books. Where she points to pictures to learn how to make sentences. For example: She points to the word "I" then the word "want" and the PECS book had pics of like juice, cookies, etc. and then another pic for "PLEASE". So she points and you go over the words "I want juice please"...........You can even make the flip book yourself. I can't upload pics on my comp. so maybe another mom on here can show you a pic of what I'm talking about. You can make these boards yourself. I encourage you to do this. I don't know how old your child is or if she is in preK but it will help.

terri-553
by Terri on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

hugging

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN