Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I made the FINAL decision!

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:21 AM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this
I went for my PAP the other day. I asked to have my tubes tied and explained my situation. He completely agreed to do it! I have had quite a few women decide that they should try to talk me out of it. It really pissed me off because they don't live my life. They have no idea what it takes to raise my son. We haven't even announced anything about Hunter having ASD until we go back to the Neuro next month.

So, my fears of Hunter not being able to handle being around even a few kids would set him off, has finally shown itself. My dad and I had to help watch my sister's two boys (6 and 2 years old) all week. The 6 year old spent Thursday night with us. Yesterday, Hunter just couldn't take it anymore. He had a meltdown all afternoon. We finally took the kids to my mom's and got Hunter to settle. Today, its back again to flapping and freaking out. I honestly believe my decision is in the best interest of my little family. I am rather excited to finally be making this decision and going through it.

As of March 8th, I will have my tubes tied and be a little happier and hopefully healthier. For now, please send good vibes and prayers for us. Hunter is having quite an off day which is rough for both of us.
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jowen905
by Jan on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:36 PM

You have to do what's right for you, and it sounds like you feel good about your decision - and that's all that matters!  I hope your day gets better and Hunter feels better too.  Prayers and hugs!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Ultimately it's your decsion & if you feel good about it that's great. I decided a long time ago no more kids for me. My son is like having 6 kids Lol

Quoting auntkissy: I went for my PAP the other day. I asked to have my tubes tied and explained my situation. He completely agreed to do it! I have had quite a few women decide that they should try to talk me out of it. It really pissed me off because they don't live my life. They have no idea what it takes to raise my son. We haven't even announced anything about Hunter having ASD until we go back to the Neuro next month.

So, my fears of Hunter not being able to handle being around even a few kids would set him off, has finally shown itself. My dad and I had to help watch my sister's two boys (6 and 2 years old) all week. The 6 year old spent Thursday night with us. Yesterday, Hunter just couldn't take it anymore. He had a meltdown all afternoon. We finally took the kids to my mom's and got Hunter to settle. Today, its back again to flapping and freaking out. I honestly believe my decision is in the best interest of my little family. I am rather excited to finally be making this decision and going through it.

As of March 8th, I will have my tubes tied and be a little happier and hopefully healthier. For now, please send good vibes and prayers for us. Hunter is having quite an off day which is rough for both of us.
auntkissy
by Karissa on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly!! My one is worse than watching my two nephews lol! He is totally worth it, but I am NOT interested in another one. I definitely feel this is the best decision for me! I am getting more and more excited everyday it gets closer.

Quoting wildchild.com: Ultimately it's your decsion & if you feel good about it that's great. I decided a long time ago no more kids for me. My son is like having 6 kids Lol

Quoting auntkissy: I went for my PAP the other day. I asked to have my tubes tied and explained my situation. He completely agreed to do it! I have had quite a few women decide that they should try to talk me out of it. It really pissed me off because they don't live my life. They have no idea what it takes to raise my son. We haven't even announced anything about Hunter having ASD until we go back to the Neuro next month.

auntkissy
by Karissa on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Thank you! Hugs to you as well!

Quoting jowen905:

You have to do what's right for you, and it sounds like you feel good about your decision - and that's all that matters!  I hope your day gets better and Hunter feels better too.  Prayers and hugs!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! im with you... But hubby had his tube tied... Lol.. Not me.. Since it is so much more invasive for us then for them.. We had a huge scare when Sam was 5. i was Pg. And had a horrible miscarriage with complications and surgery... Would not wish that one on anyone... Ugh! 

But anyway, Sam is like having 6.. his Dr once told me I could have been mom to 6 NT kids, or 1 Sam. LOL

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
It took mine about a year to warm up to preschool and about 5 minutes before joining the rest of the class but she is doing great. I'm currently pregnant but yeah worried about having another with autism. Granted she has some issues but she totally lights up the room when she enters it. I love my little princess ASD and all. I understand when woman take back what control over her body that she has so I totally respect your decision though maybe speak with a genetic counselor about the risk of it occurring again because there is a blood test that they can run that will tell if you and hubby have an increased risk.
AylinsMom
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I have an only child who is high functioning autistic. We have no family here and we keep moving for employment so we hardly or rather I should be truthfull, have "no" friends. It would be too difficult for me to raise 2 kids and it would be a safety issue. I can't be in two places at once. There are days that I wish my daughter had a brother or sister but I know it could cause her to regress. I worry that when she gets older that she will be alone. BUT...my brother died when I was 27 and now I'm alone. There's no guarantee. Also, there is no guarantee that siblings will get along. You really do have to do what's best for you and if you need all your energy to focus on him then you owe an apology to nobody. Just do what you need to do. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I think women know when they are done.  And if it's done after 1, then it's done after 1.  So if you're sure, I don't blame you for making it official.  Good luck!

auntkissy
by Karissa on Feb. 15, 2014 at 3:03 PM
It doesn't take a blood test or anything to know we run a high risk of having another SN child. Sean's side has schizophrenia, severe depression, epilepsy, and addiction. Mine has severe depression, seizures, and bipolar. We don't want to run the risk of anymore children. Hunter is my life and soul. I would rather jus. Give him my full attention.

Quoting MixedCooke: It took mine about a year to warm up to preschool and about 5 minutes before joining the rest of the class but she is doing great. I'm currently pregnant but yeah worried about having another with autism. Granted she has some issues but she totally lights up the room when she enters it. I love my little princess ASD and all. I understand when woman take back what control over her body that she has so I totally respect your decision though maybe speak with a genetic counselor about the risk of it occurring again because there is a blood test that they can run that will tell if you and hubby have an increased risk.
auntkissy
by Karissa on Feb. 15, 2014 at 3:06 PM
My sister and I still don't get along. We try for the sake of our children, but it doesn't always work out. I have always wished I was an only child. Sean is an only child to his mom and has never wished for more than one child. I would hate to have another child and make Hunter regress more than he already does. Also, all of Hunter's doctors are between 3 and 4 hours away so I couldnt see traveling with him and being super pregnant either. This is my definite choice!

Quoting AylinsMom:

I have an only child who is high functioning autistic. We have no family here and we keep moving for employment so we hardly or rather I should be truthfull, have "no" friends. It would be too difficult for me to raise 2 kids and it would be a safety issue. I can't be in two places at once. There are days that I wish my daughter had a brother or sister but I know it could cause her to regress. I worry that when she gets older that she will be alone. BUT...my brother died when I was 27 and now I'm alone. There's no guarantee. Also, there is no guarantee that siblings will get along. You really do have to do what's best for you and if you need all your energy to focus on him then you owe an apology to nobody. Just do what you need to do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN