Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Wanting to help but can't always

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Jes
  • 6 Replies

In the mornings particularly lately, she has been having meltdowns when her brother is out of bed before her. Now I realize that she wants to help with her brother, which is nice and all, but there is no way I am going to let him sit in bed crying until she decides she is ready to get up or is done with her morning schedule to get her dressed. When she does get up, before she is even out of her diaper or pjs, and she realizes that he is already up and downstairs she flips out. She keeps asking for him to go back to bed. Obviously it doesn't make sense to me to go put him back to bed so she can get him up again because I don't want him to be confused. I have thought about a doll and bed that she can help get up that stays in her room each day but she doesn't really like her dolls much. Any other ideas? 

DD has a schedule and we use it most of the time, especially at nighttime and in the mornings to get ready for the day. Once she is downstairs she is pretty much fine with playing or asking for what she wants to do. I am planning on going back to more scheduling tomorrow to see if it helps with her violent behaviors towards her brother or not. (see other post about violence) but I am not sure if introducing a doll for her to get dressed and up out of her bed will help or not. Thoughts?  

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 16, 2014 at 7:56 AM

I'm honestly not sure mama...bump for more to see this.  Hugs!

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Bump
wildchild.com
by Janine on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM
A social story might help. Also the schedule helps my son alot.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree.
Also, why not put her brother back in bed? Pretend to do the routine w/ her... the brother can pretend too. You can make it a game, "oh good morning baby brother! So happy to see you"
Make sure you LAVISHLY praise her anytime she is sweet and gentle.
"Wow!!! You're being so sweet and gentle! Thank you! That is so sweet of you. Let me give you a kiss"
"Can you give this to your bro?"
"Wow!! Good job sharing!"
The more the behavior is mentioned, the more it will increase - good or bad.
"No hitting" hitting will increase
"Good job sitting on your chair at the table" behavior more likely to increase
Etc etc etc

Quoting wildchild.com: A social story might help. Also the schedule helps my son alot.
tictacmama
by Arlea on Feb. 16, 2014 at 4:20 PM

This, I also explain why they are up first or say "No, I am not going to put your brother back in bed just because you want to get up first. Sometimes in life we aren't always first." I have this issue with my son too.

Quoting wildchild.com: A social story might help. Also the schedule helps my son alot.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 16, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Actually a doll and a bed sounds like a great idea to me. She can get it ready for bed and get it up in the mornings. I will have to go read your other post before I reply about her violent behavior towards her brother

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)