Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Homeschool Question

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:25 PM
  • 5 Replies

I know there are some homeschoolers out there.  I am looking into homeschooling my almost 13 yr old daughter (aspergers, generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive order).  I have gotten some information on the K-12 program was wondering if anyone had experience with other programs.  My daughter is gifted but has major social communication issues that are causing severe depression.  I talked some to the k-12 people but they were very insistent that she had to be placed in her age group.  Part of the benefit of homeschool would be that she could learn at fast rate the items she excels at and a slower rate for some things.  Anyone have any experience with such a homeschool program?

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:35 PM
I honestly used books from the library, second hand shop, and used on amazon. I went to the bookstore and made lists of books that sounded good and researched them. I also focused on things the kids enjoyed with library books and shows on the tv. We did marine biology and watched River Monsters. I found the marine books at a second hand store for a quarter each. They were high school level. Also check if you can borrow books from the public school. It may be possible.
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:37 PM

We use K12 for our 1st grader, and I love it.  I don't know what it is like for older kids, but we are very happy with it.

Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Join homeschool group on cafe mom. There are lots of experienced moms there.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 16, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Hi! Isn't funny that our kids are the same age and I'm thinking of homeschooling him with K-12 after he graduates 8th grade. Most is for his benefit but there's a part that's for my sanity. Although my older two thrived in our HS, special needs children do not. There is a homeschool school that meets once a week for lesson plans and plenty of activities for science/social studies, etc. They also go on field trips and social outings like parks, picnics, bowling, etc.. My only problem is that it's costly but it's the one I'm strongly considering.

The benefit is that you will have more time free to focus not only on her interests, but allowing her true social activities that school does not allow. Sure, they are around peers their age, but at almost 13, school  is all about school. The curriculum and all the work involved  is number 1, while social opportunities are almost non existent. Homeschooling will give an avenue to pursue other homeschoolers and join in fun things for the kids.

Join or browse through the posts on the homeschool group on CM. I know someone can point you in the right direction.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 16, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Good luck mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)