Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will your child require a caregiver as an adult?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Amy
  • 39 Replies

My son should be ok without a caregiver, but my older son has 2 other brothers (his dad's sons) who are also on the spectrum and are much, much lower functioning than my kiddo is.  Both of these boys will need caregivers for their entire lives.

Will your child need a caregiver when they become an adult?  Why/why not?

by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:34 PM

we dont think he will because he is pretty high functioning

emarin77
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:56 PM

No, my son has mild/high functioning Autism.  He does very well to take care of himself even though his is only 5.5.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think so.  He talks about going to college and getting married (he's only 9 ) and I truly hope he is able to do so. 

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I have 2 children we will probably always have some responsibility to, and most likely at least one will always live at home.  Only time will tell.  We hope for the best, but plan for their care at the same time. 

mamatink7
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM

we are indecisive right now. they r 15 shes gonna be fine with supervision, hes lower functioning and gonna need more supervision. they r both on schedules and think supervised homes would be fine. someone to remind him to take showers to do laundry for them and simple things. school is working on life skills though and work program to them skills so we never know. only time will tell be in this program till 21

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM
I don't think so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariat2
by Maria on Feb. 16, 2014 at 4:22 PM
I don't think so either
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 16, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I really don't know. It's something that I often wonder myself. I would hope not but if he does he will live with me and his father. Or if we can find a place for him to live that is more like a home then maybe we would consider something along those lines as long as it is close by. I know that they have houses here that people with special needs share and they have people there 24 hours a day to help remind them to do things or help them get to and from places such as work

by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My older two will be fine and will be able to live on their own. My 4 year old, she may need help. We hope to own a small plot of land, and we have talked about building her her own house a few feet from our house so she can have her own space, but have supervision and help. My ultimate prayer, though, is that she meets an amazing neuro typical man who understands her and is patient with her and takes care of her and treats her like a princess. 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Sam has plans for college as well as "someday, when Im lucky enough to have a child of my own..." (A sentence he has said on more then 1 occassion) but doesnt like talking about girls.. (Gets very embarrassed, on the verge of angry if you push..llol) 

anyway.. He also talks about living with me and hubby when he is older too... He is HF, but who knows... Can barely eat with a spoon.. So living alone is a stretch for me to imagine.. LOL.. My guess is he will pay someone to feed him, or invent a robot. LOL.. He just struggles with OT so much! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)