Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

He noticed my emotion!!!

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 12:12 PM
  • 36 Replies
4 moms liked this

I was reading a book with Zachary last night and in the book there is a picture of a little boy crying and he will always tell me "he's crying" when I ask what the boy is doing. He has also cried when he sees something on tv like a puppy stuck in a well etc.

However, he has never noticed when I cry. I'm not proud to say I've cried in front of my son a few times but I have, like the day he was diagnosed. 

So last night as we were reading the book I decided to pretend to cry to see if he would notice and would you believe he looked at me and began to cry too and gave me a hug!!! I immediately got him to stop and show him mommy was fine and we started laughing and playing. I'm not sure if what I did was wrong but I just wanted to see if he would recognize my emotion and he did!! 

I hope I don't get bashed for experimenting but I just really wanted to see if along with all the other progress he has made, has he began to notice emotions as well. 

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 24, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

This is great. I would never bash you for this. I do this with my son all the time. We work on all emotions this way.

Linda733
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Thank you. I felt really bad and guilty for upsetting him but I was also overjoyed that he noticed and reacted appropriately. I know his therapists have been talking about working on teaching him emotions through pictures. When I think about it, it's sad that my child crying is a happy thing :( Hes really learning a lot and I can't wait to see how far he goes in school. One of his therapists thinks the school is going to put him in a regular pre k class because he's so intelligent but he needs to be In a smaller class because his social skills with children needs a lot of work. 

Quoting JTMOM422:

This is great. I would never bash you for this. I do this with my son all the time. We work on all emotions this way.

AspieAuntie
by Risa on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I don't think you should be ashamed to let your son see you cry. I let Bugga see me cry when I'm upset, that's how he knows that he's really upset me since he doesn't really pick up on subtler cues. Usually he'll tear up too, bring me a box of kleenex and give me a cuddle. It's great that your son recognized your emotion and showed empathy! That's a huge step!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM

My son imitates angry, happy, sad and surprised every morning. He loves knowing how to make these faces

Quoting Linda733:

Thank you. I felt really bad and guilty for upsetting him but I was also overjoyed that he noticed and reacted appropriately. I know his therapists have been talking about working on teaching him emotions through pictures. When I think about it, it's sad that my child crying is a happy thing :( Hes really learning a lot and I can't wait to see how far he goes in school. One of his therapists thinks the school is going to put him in a regular pre k class because he's so intelligent but he needs to be In a smaller class because his social skills with children needs a lot of work. 

Quoting JTMOM422:

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:50 PM
I don't think you should be ashamed. Our children have to be taught what these emotions are. I try to use my face to show nick the different emotions. I try to make it a game. That is a huge step!
samomama
by Sally on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Yay! Don't be ashamed momma, we all do that (I do, anyways).

Linda733
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Thank you. Aww he sounds so sweet. My son definitely surprised me. I hope this is a sign of great things to come :) 

Quoting AspieAuntie:

I don't think you should be ashamed to let your son see you cry. I let Bugga see me cry when I'm upset, that's how he knows that he's really upset me since he doesn't really pick up on subtler cues. Usually he'll tear up too, bring me a box of kleenex and give me a cuddle. It's great that your son recognized your emotion and showed empathy! That's a huge step!

Linda733
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I guess I just feel bad about making him cry purposely. It is great that he recognized it and reacted to it. 

Quoting samomama:

Linda733
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:39 PM

That's what I've been ddoing with Zachary and I noticed he has been making a lot of faces in the mirror lately lol His therapists want to work on emotions with him using flash cards and faces. 

Quoting Nickmom1118: I don't think you should be ashamed. Our children have to be taught what these emotions are. I try to use my face to show nick the different emotions. I try to make it a game. That is a huge step!

samomama
by Sally on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I know what you mean. DH usually tells me not to do that. But I think it is one form of learning. Which works! :)

Quoting Linda733:

I guess I just feel ad about making him cry purposely. It is great that he recognized it and reacted to it. 

Quoting samomama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)