Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Sister with Autism Going to Group Home

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:14 PM
  • 24 Replies
Hello,
My 24 year-old sister (Nika) is moving into her group home tomorrow. My parents and all of the siblings (total of 6 kids) have raised Nika her entire life and we have been very involved. Since she has not been able to attend school since she turned 21, she has not been on a routine schedule, and therefore her behavior has gotten progressively worse and she is very angry and agitated. My mother hasn't been able to take Nika out much because of her anger and behavior issues, so it keeps both of them at home most days.

My parents finally pulled the trigger on selecting a group home for Nika. We know being at the home with others like her is the best for Nika and for my parents. The current living situation was taking a toll on both Nika and my parents. We hope that Nika will flourish at her new home.

Tomorrow is going to be extremely difficult. Leaving Nika at her home is very scary and sad for the while family (esp my mom). Has anyone else moved a family member into a group home? How did you cope with it? Any advice?
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyAmaranth
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:32 PM

((Hugs)) and bump.

I hope Nika loves her new place and makes lots of new friends.

~Amaranth Dhanya~

Mama to 3 Joyfully Chaotic boys

Widow to my Crazy Chicken(4-8-13)....Always My Love

blue.butterfly
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM

(((HUGS))) from me too. I can imagine tomorrow will be difficult and emotional but it sounds like it is the best decision for her. May she flourish and be happy! 

Linda733
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

This <3 

Quoting blue.butterfly:

(((HUGS))) from me too. I can imagine tomorrow will be difficult and emotional but it sounds like it is the best decision for her. May she flourish and be happy! 

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Yes, this. Good luck I can't imagine how difficult it will be.

Quoting Linda733:

This <3 

Quoting blue.butterfly:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 27, 2014 at 5:29 AM

Hugs!  Hope things go well and she enjoys her new home!

patnic
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:55 AM
1 mom liked this

My dad's sister was moved to a group home.  She lived with my Grandma her whole life and ruled that household.  She was cognitively impaired, but could do math, talk, etc.  Her behavior was the problem.  Towards the end, she was getting physical with my Grandma.  She would only eat junk food and maybe 10 other foods.  She was quite capable of doing some work - let's say McDonalds cleaning tables, etc. 

She now eats salads and more foods!   She has friends.  She has responsiblilites, she has a job.  So good things can come out of this move.  : )

tictacmama
by Arlea on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:12 AM

one of my friends has a daughter who is disabled but not autism. Anyway, she is in an adult group home. My friend stressed out about it forever but she loves it there. She has friends she can relate to and she's really happy. Good luck, hopefully you'll get the same results for your sister!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group. I have never had to do this. My son is 3.

I think your family is making the best decision. This is my opinion and I know there might be some who disagree. I think that you have to look at the big picture. She needs the structure. She's been having difficulty since she is no longer in school. It's been rough on your parents and the rest of you.

I wish your family the best of luck and I will keep you all in my prayers.

Vazagu529
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Thank you all for the support. I really appreciate it. We are actually on our way to her new home now. She seems excited, but then again she is severely autistic (along with other intellectual disabilities) so I know she doesn't really understand what's going on. I hope she gets settled in today and handles us leaving OK. I'm worried she will get really upset when it's time for us to leave.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Oh boy, I have n o experience with that at all. I can't imagine how hard that will be on all of you, but know that this is hopefully the answer to your prayers. This will be a place that is a good fit and will make everyone happier with their living situation.

Let us know how you make out bringing her there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN