Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 6 year old autistic son obsession

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:35 AM
  • 9 Replies

Good morning ladies!

Looking for some advice from my fellow autism moms. My son who is 6, autistic, non verbal has a new obsession. I feel like its enabling him from focusing. He started pulling string from his clothes, socks, towels, anything he can find. He will play with it and put it in his mouth to hide it. its becoming a routine for him. i have to stay on top of him at all times. He seems to manage to find more everytime i catch him and i take it away. Its driving me crazy. what can i do?

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM

It's just a stim that comforts him. Is there something he enjoys just as much, a toy, food, tv show, activity, etc that you can redirect him to do?

wildchild.com
by Janine on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:40 AM
I agree ...

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

It's just a stim that comforts him. Is there something he enjoys just as much, a toy, food, tv show, activity, etc that you can redirect him to do?

ftania32
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM

i have tried everything even when he watches his favorite show he has the piece of string. i was thinking of giving him a piece of yarn to take him away from it. and slowly take it away. im kind of lost, honestly :/

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Just stay on top of it! Continually take the string or the item away, telling him NO. Whether he wants something else or not, put something non string related in his hand or let him know that he must go find something else to play with. I know it sounds impossible, but just stick to your guns!

ftania32
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:51 AM

It only occurs while we are home. Thank you for the advice :)

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

If you could find something else to replace that behavior, that would be ideal. So maybe some yarn? Or other string? It seems you don't want him pulling the string out of his clothes, right? 

ftania32
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:01 AM

yes! i dont want him to swallow it or choke on it either

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I think these ladies have great ideas on the redirecting, but maybe it is a sensory oral fixation that he needs to chew.  6 year molars are hard on kids, my 5.5 year old triplets are all starting in on them and chewing odd things constantly that they didn't before.  My sped teacher suggested either gum, hard pretzels, or a chewy tube.  Might try that and see if it is just a chewing thing.

ftania32
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I have notice he will also chew on his sisters rubber bracelets so you that could be it ..thank you :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)