Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Note to self: Don't teach Liam about time yet

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Jen
  • 5 Replies

As you all know, Liam sturggles with seperating from me at preschool. I have to say that this entire week he's done fantastic! The other day I told him how I'd be there at 4:00 to get him and take him home. Yesterday he was trying to point to the clock and was talking about it. So I drew him a picture of a clock that said 4:00 and he happily put it in his cubby. 

When I arrived to get him, he couldn't find the picture and so we looked for it. By the time we had everything together, it was no longer 4:00. It was five minutes after. And he had a meltdown. He hit himself in the head and threw himself on the floor. He said something about it will never be 4:00 and we can never leave now. 

Oh my! I did feel bad for him, that he was so upset, but it was kinda funny at the same time. He was SO dramatic about it not being 4:00 anymore. I've tried to tell him that time keeps going on and that the clock is always moving and yada yada. But he isn't getting it. Poor kid cried all the way to the car. 

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jowen905
by Jan on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Oh poor little guy.  Sometimes when they're so literal, it's amazing the ruckus it can cause for them (and you!).  Maybe tell him you'll pick him up sometime after 4:00, if you think that will make sense for him.

Jan

samomama
by Sally on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM

O poor Liam. He will get it eventually.. :) The previous poster had a good idea.

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Hugs Mama!!  My kid is the same way.  They get so use to routine and take a 'time' literally!!!  Even on no school days, my son expects to be at school from 8:30 to 3:00, and begs for it as he is out of routine at home!  LOL! 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Oh how funny and not funny... LOL.. 

Yep, those black and white thinkers.. So tough. Yesterday Sam was playing a new board game at social skills class. The spinner said spin again.. So sam stood up and spun.. He was doing it to be funny.. And then when the directions were to "go crazy" he ran around waving his hands in the air giggle blabbing.... (Crazy was a space on the board)... At 7, he knows literally and figurativley... So he is getting better with meanings.. But the black and white thinking... We still habe trouble with.. Everything is an absolute.. :( 

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Ahhh, amazing how quickly things can set our kids off. I know the feeling, the more I try to help by explaining logic all my son hears is mmmwwwaamwamqa ( Charlie Brown's teacher). It was a good idea mom!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)