Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Blood draws are a NIGHTMARE!!!!!! Anyone have any tricks or tips?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:30 PM
  • 31 Replies

My DS had to have his blood drawn today for some tests to rule out medical causes for his food issues and loosing weight.  It was a NIGHTMARE!  He was screaming and crying, I was crying.  I held him on my lap and held him across the chest with one hand and held his arm with the other.  Then 2 nurses held him down also and the lab tech was finally able to get the blood.  I tried prepping him for it, we had his tablet with headphones, but nothing helped!  He fought and screamed and cried til he was burning not and red in the face.  It breaks my heart!!!!!!!!  I wish I could find a way to calm him down!!  Anyone else have this issue and found something that worked?  He is 9 and is big for his age, so between absolutely hating to see him go through this, and knowing it won't be much longer before I can't hold him, I am at a loss.  I wonder if I should check with his psychiatrist about getting an ativan PRN or something?  

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:40 PM
My son is 8 & he reacts the same way. Luckily it doesn't happen often.
hockeyfans30
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Unfortunately, my DS has alot of health issues, so it's not "often," but it's been a couple times a year, plus he has had 7 surgeries so several IV's.  I just HATE it!!!  Any medical procedure terrifies him.  :-(  His regular physician is FANTASTIC, so he is ok with regular exams and things, but when he had a bowel obstruction and had to have a rectal exam and an enema, etc in the ER with a strange doc, it was terrible  

Quoting wildchild.com: My son is 8 & he reacts the same way. Luckily it doesn't happen often.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I bring hibby who is 6'1 200lbs and strong like bull to wrap himself around Sam and hold him for blood work.  Dnt prep at all.. It just makes the anxiety higher,, besides, im not ever 100 percent sure the Dr will request it.. We had to do this last wednesday at the endocrinologist... Ugh! Its just no fun! :( 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Oh I'm so sorry poor kid hugs!

Quoting hockeyfans30:

Unfortunately, my DS has alot of health issues, so it's not "often," but it's been a couple times a year, plus he has had 7 surgeries so several IV's.  I just HATE it!!!  Any medical procedure terrifies him.  :-(  His regular physician is FANTASTIC, so he is ok with regular exams and things, but when he had a bowel obstruction and had to have a rectal exam and an enema, etc in the ER with a strange doc, it was terrible  

Quoting wildchild.com: My son is 8 & he reacts the same way. Luckily it doesn't happen often.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:55 PM

You'd think people would figure out a better way with these things, but they haven't. At least I know with my daughter when she got her sedated mri they gave her gas that made her unaware of what was going on when they put the iv in, so she didn't feel that.

I had alot of health issues when I was little and my mom told me how once I fought so hard they had to put me in a straight - jacket to get an iv in at the hospital. I was severely dehydrated so they couldn't get a needle in alot of places .... so that combined with me fighting, they had to completely restrain me.

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Nope. Mine hasn't had blood drawn in forever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM
It'll get better
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

They are terrible!!!  You can ask for a numbing cream that they put on like 20 minutes before the draw.  I will say it does great so the draw does not hurt, much less wiggling, screaming, holding down.  BUT if your kid is a sensory kid, my child did not like the chilled numbed feeling on his arm.  Figures.  Not sure if we'll use it again, only had it once.

How old is he?  BRIBE!!!  Find a favorite thing for after, treat, activity, etc that he loves and bribe.  I have to do that with my oldest (11), and it works great.  My little guy, nope.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 28, 2014 at 4:01 AM

My husband has to take him because I cried too much the one time. I can't even go along. Last time he took him they went to the Pittsburgh zoo after since the children's hospital is so close. Children's hospital is the only place that we have had succes with him getting blood drawn. It is really hard for him too :/

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 28, 2014 at 6:00 AM

Nope, it's basically a nightmare for all of us. I'm sorry   =(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN