Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Ok ladies tell me about school!

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM
  • 7 Replies
My ds will be 5 on August. He misses this years deadline. So he will go next August. I'm worried about how he'll perform in school. Should we look into several schools or just stick to the district we're in. I know some schools here offer therapies on site and some don't. Also how do I get an IEP in order? His therapy people at the hospital brought it up but then I switche him to daycare for and speech because he lost Medicaid and daycare therapy was 900 cheaper then the hospital. Should I move him back to the other place to get everything in order for school? I'm lost and need help to help him succeed best. Also I've been working with him on writing backwards. Anyone else's kid wrote backwards? His daycare teachers don't see that usually a few letters but he writes all letters and words backwards at home.

Oh I should also ad he is/was potty trained but since he's had an intestinal block he can't feel his poop and has random accidents. I don't know if they'll allow him to go if he isn't completely potty trained :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I'm assuming he's never been to preschool with the public school system where you are?  I would contact the school system soon if I were you...they are already gathering information, doing evals, placements, etc. for next school year.  Where I live, the deadline is in Sept.  So, it sounds like your child will attend Kindergarten 2015 school year?  Do you want him to attend preschool before that or no?  I would call the school district if I were you.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Let me also add that they WILL let him attend school even if he isn't potty trained.  There are many special ed kids that aren't potty trained, including my son who's 5.5 years old.  that won't be a problem:)

michelles89
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:45 PM
Thank you :) he's in preschool at the daycare I work at but not through public school I didn't know they offered that. The closest to that we have is becep and he missed the deadline for turning 4 before it started

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Let me also add that they WILL let him attend school even if he isn't potty trained.  There are many special ed kids that aren't potty trained, including my son who's 5.5 years old.  that won't be a problem:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:47 PM

can he attend this coming year?  I would check into that if I were you.  Typically they will provide special ed preschool for kids that qualify.  Good luck!

Quoting michelles89: Thank you :) he's in preschool at the daycare I work at but not through public school I didn't know they offered that. The closest to that we have is becep and he missed the deadline for turning 4 before it started
Quoting darbyakeep45:

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:01 PM
First thing first, have you contacted child find in your area for an early intervention assessment?
N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 12:20 AM

My son will be 6 years old in April and he is not potty trained at all. For school i got no advice. im in a very small town and we only have 1 school that can deal with a child that is special needs. I would say maybe check around and see what the schools have for therapy ect.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 2, 2014 at 6:00 AM

Contact your school and let them about your son's diagnosis. Make sure you have letters from any doctors who have done any sort of evaluations and their recommendations for him. Get the ball rolling before next year so when he starts school, therapy and any educational help can start as soon as possible.

Ask the school what they offer and I would also ask that you be able to see the classrooms and meet any teachers he'd have.

Many kids and special ed kids have accidents at school, but make sure any accomodations he would need are known.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN