Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

New here and looking for help

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM
  • 14 Replies
My daughter will be 2 Wednesday and says a total of maybe 5 words. We have started signing with her and it was going very well but now we're back to nothing just the grunting. She has not been officially diagnosed yet but she is high risk. They are pretty sure she is just waiting for more testing. I am just at a loss. I want more than anything for her to talk to me. But I love her all the same. She is very smart. We are currently using speech therapy and eci.
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aakeiser
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Welcome to the group.My name is Amy. My son didn't really started talking until he was about 5. He is 8 now. We would read to him a lot. There are still days he only says a few words or there is some days he will talk your ear off. Hang in there you will get her there.
Loveofmylife07
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Thank you so much

Quoting aakeiser: Welcome to the group.My name is Amy. My son didn't really started talking until he was about 5. He is 8 now. We would read to him a lot. There are still days he only says a few words or there is some days he will talk your ear off. Hang in there you will get her there.
aakeiser
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Your welcome. If have any questions feel free to ask. It took a while to get my son dx. We thought he had hearing problems when he was that age. I listened to our doctor at that time. He kept telling me my son was fine. We switch doctors and we found out really was going on and his hearing was just fine. It is a long hard road but I would not teade it for anything even on the bad days. There is a special bond between my son and I. It is like no others.
dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 1, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Welcome to the group! Did you sign up your daughter for Early Intervention services through your local school district? These services are free, and you can learn more about them at http://www.wrightslaw.com/ and http://www.autismspeaks.org/.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 11:40 AM

That's pretty much where my son was at with his speech at that age. Now, 7 months later, he has hundreds of words and he's putting together meaningful two word phrases. It was like a switch was flipped and he started talking. Be encouraged, you never know when they might just "get it" :)

lillettemomma
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Mobile Photo

Have you tried pecs? My girls are verbal but we use pecs to communicate either when they are in meltdown or for scheduling to help them and it works wonders...message Me if want help with it
Loveofmylife07
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:07 PM
She is in a program like that but it's eci early childhood intervention.

Quoting dawncs:

Welcome to the group! Did you sign up your daughter for Early Intervention services through your local school district? These services are free, and you can learn more about them at http://www.wrightslaw.com/ and http://www.autismspeaks.org/.

Loveofmylife07
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:10 PM
She has ear tubes and we have had a lot of hearing tests her hearing is perfect she just refuses she would rather sign than talk but now she is not doing that. She would rather grunt and pull you where she wants you and point. I did my own research and asked to do the mchat and that's when we found it she is high risk

Quoting aakeiser: Your welcome. If have any questions feel free to ask. It took a while to get my son dx. We thought he had hearing problems when he was that age. I listened to our doctor at that time. He kept telling me my son was fine. We switch doctors and we found out really was going on and his hearing was just fine. It is a long hard road but I would not teade it for anything even on the bad days. There is a special bond between my son and I. It is like no others.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Welcome to the group!  I wish you the best:)

My 5 year old is Autistic and completely nonverbal.  We use PECs with him:)

Jodee24
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Welcome momma!!! My daughter is 2 and only says maybe 5 words too. My daughter was diagnosised with ASD at 21 months. This group is amazing and these mommas helped me so much!! 😘
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN