Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Let's play Tickle Monster!!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM
  • 9 Replies
2 moms liked this

As many of you ladies experience, our kids do not always know how to play with others and need to be taught.  My son has had a goal for 3 years for initiating interactions and conversations with other children.  He makes little gains each year, but not enough to pass the goal, the goal keeps getting adjusted.  Sometimes you wonder if things are sinking in, if he will get it.  And the teacher tracks her data of few and far between interactions. 

Well, Friday it was too cold for outside recess, as has been all winter here!!  So they have inside recess with 2 combined classrooms (about 32 kids).  All the kids are running around the gym with balls, scooters, hoolahoops, jump ropes, etc.  It is loud.  My son is climbing a ladder he likes, and they let him to strengthen his fine motor.  So he's up on top and starts saying, "hey everybody."  But the gym is so loud they can't hear him, so teacher says, "hey friends, Will wants your attention."  Every single one stops immediately and looks at him, and he says, "let's play tickle monster!" His favorite game where you just run around chasing each other and tickling.  Immediately all 32 kids and Will were playing tickle monster, and did so for the next 15 minutes until recess was over.  With the 3 teachers, several aides, and office ladies standing there in disbelief that this little kid that struggles to make even a single connection just initiated a giant game involving all the children.  Maybe we'll actually pass that goal this year.  :) 

by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jennymoon4
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome! Way to go Will. I'd say he may end up achieving that goal at this rate.
jowen905
by Jan on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Way to go, Will!  That's awesome, such a big step.  That's great!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Goodness, I sure hope so!!!  Getting tired of seeing it on the IEP each year, lol!

Quoting jennymoon4: That's awesome! Way to go Will. I'd say he may end up achieving that goal at this rate.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Now that is cool. How awesome that all the kids responded like that! I bet it definitely gave him the motivation he needs to intiate interactions all the time! Sounds like he may be achieving that goal.

Linda733
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I love this! How amazing. I would be one proud mama :) Way to go Will. I hope my son will start being more social once he's in school. I just love these types of stories!! Made me smile :) 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I think it is possible.  We joked he should get 32 ticks on his rubric for initiating with 32 children, lol!  :)

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Now that is cool. How awesome that all the kids responded like that! I bet it definitely gave him the motivation he needs to intiate interactions all the time! Sounds like he may be achieving that goal.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

How great!!!! Thats so awesome! And what a positive response! :) that will enable him to go back for more!!! Yeah! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

How awesome!!!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 2, 2014 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Awww that's great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)