Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How to I go about getting her diagnosed?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:23 PM
  • 15 Replies

Mobile Photo

Charlotte is 3 and her pediatrician agrees that she probably has Aspergers (although I realize that technically it's just Autism now right?) and told us to go to Child Find. We went to Child Fibd where they said she does seem to have the "rigidity" common with Aspergers and we should go to Childrens Hospital. I don't even know what type of dr we should seek out, but beyond that we just got switched over to Kaiser.

I don't know if I need to get her diagnosed, but I do know I need someone to help me help her. She can hardly look at me for a picture. I just want help kwim.
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:31 PM

I got officially diagnosed as an adult on the spectrum. I found the doctor through my state's Autism Society (http://www.autism-society.org/) which has a list of doctors. You should also check with http://www.autismspeaks.org/.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Your doc should be able to give you a referral, otherwise seek out a developmental pediatrician, developmental psychologist, or neuro psychologist that works on children.  Best of luck!!!   

MamaSarah1104
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Thanks! This will be helpful for my husband as well.

Quoting dawncs:

I got officially diagnosed as an adult on the spectrum. I found the doctor through my state's Autism Society (http://www.autism-society.org/) which has a list of doctors. You should also check with http://www.autismspeaks.org/.

johnns
by Johnna on Mar. 3, 2014 at 6:57 AM
My thoughts exactly! That's what we did!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Your doc should be able to give you a referral, otherwise seek out a developmental pediatrician, developmental psychologist, or neuro psychologist that works on children.  Best of luck!!!   

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Once you contact a developmental ped (my recommendation) def. contact your local head start of early intervention. EI does not need a Dx for services. hey will evaluate your DD and most likely give her support services for OT and PT (typically delayed jn Aspies) as well as potentially sensory integration and maybe some form of therapy (we got play therapy with a child psychologist) until my son was almost 5. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I would have your doctor write a referral for a developmental pediatrician. There are only certain types of doctors who can officially dx. I would tell you this. It never hurts to have the eval done. You will have an answer one way or another and it will make you feel better knowing. 

emarin77
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I would see a doctor or psychologist that is specialized in Aspergers and Autism since her doc is not specialized in Autism either.  Specialized is the key word.

Mishy2
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

We are in Canada and I am assuming you are in the USA, so it is probably different over here. Here in the province that I live there is only one Child Psychologist who can diagnose Autism so our Pediatrician referred us to her. My oldest son (now 8) was diagnosed with high functioning Autism (which I was told is Aspergers, but yes now Aspergers is just called Autism). I guess they do not use the term Aspergers any more. All the best :)

Quoting MamaSarah1104:

Mobile Photo

Charlotte is 3 and her pediatrician agrees that she probably has Aspergers (although I realize that technically it's just Autism now right?) and told us to go to Child Find. We went to Child Fibd where they said she does seem to have the "rigidity" common with Aspergers and we should go to Childrens Hospital. I don't even know what type of dr we should seek out, but beyond that we just got switched over to Kaiser. I don't know if I need to get her diagnosed, but I do know I need someone to help me help her. She can hardly look at me for a picture. I just want help kwim.

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun & friendly place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat.   

happynewyorker
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I believe they have to be a certain age, to be diagnosed.  That's what my cousin had mentioned about her son that had autism and other development issues.  

samomama
by Sally on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Ask her Pediatrician for a referal, or if not, look for a developmental pediatrician or a neuro psychologist in your state. Then make a call and ask what you need to do to schedule an evaluation. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN