Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Autism and Homeschooling

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM
  • 14 Replies

Do you think it's better to home-school autistic children?

I've just started my battle with his school and I already hate the system SO much. He's managed to scrape along from grade to grade since kindergarten but now he's in the last two months of 3rd grade and I don't think he's going to be able to pass the Taks test and pass on to 4th grade. It's very apparent to me. My son can barely do multiple number subtraction and they are testing him on division and multiplication. We were doing his solar system project yesterday and while I was preparing his balls for him to make into planets, I asked him to write the report he was assigned. It was a report on why humans can't live on the sun. I told him to write the required 8 sentences about it. He was able to tell me all the reasons but when he wrote his eight sentences it turned out to be just one longer incomplete one. He doesn't know how to structure a complete sentence. I knew he was behind on math, science and reading (which we work on every night, weekends included) but I had no clue how behind he was on English. The school hasn't said anything, he doesn't bring home any writing assignments with bad grades. It's just so frustrating. He's so behind. I feel like he's not learning anything at school anymore, it's like he goes to school #2 when he gets home. His teachers don't give a crap (he has 4, they switch rooms), he's been failing all year and I've been the only one reaching out.

I've talk to his principal about the IEP, she says the school has to put children with IEPs in the special ED classroom because the teachers and assistants in that classroom are trained for it, she went and gave me a walk through of that classroom. Let me tell you- I don't like it. 

I've read around and it seems like most schools are very resistant to helping special needs children and I've read a lot of moms would rather their spectrum kids not go into special ed and move backwards instead of forwards or mimic the "worse off" children in the class. 

I work from home, I'm bored half the time, I know it would be a challenge and my DF doesn't seem to keen on the idea...but do you recommend homeschooling these kids? With his situation I don't think he's getting anything from the chaos of the school anymore. :(

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM

My son with autism is set to start public school kindergarten in the fall.  He does have an IEP that will allow for modifications and extra services to help him with the 'gaps.'  He will also split time between the gen ed setting and pull outs for his extra help in the self contained smaller room.  As grades move on, we hope he will spend more time in gen ed, but who knows.  We'll just re-evaluate as we go. 

It is important to me (and recommended by all my son's therapists, 2 psychologists, and his doctor) that he is in the school setting with access to same age peers for socialization and correct modeling.  And I will say I've had my son in both gen ed and self contained prior and he did much better in the gen ed.  He's like a big copy cat on demonstrated behavior and learns quicker from his peers. I think every child and family is different, and you have to go with what feels most right to you.  Best of luck!  And Welcome to the group.  Very supportive here!! 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:57 AM

At this time my son attends a special education preschool for the public school system. We have been blessed in that he went into a small class. 7 students and 1 teacher plus 2 aides. I don't know how it's going to be in kindergarten but I will take each year as they come. My son is almost 4 and can read and write up to 45 words so the teacher works with him on a higher level than the other kids. I think if the teachers work with each child individually at their level then public school is fine but if you feel they are letting him slip through the crack then maybe home school is a better choice 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM
My son is12 and was mainstreamed until December. It was very apparent that he not only wasn't getting help, but was being rushed and pushed along with grades I don't think we're his. He has a 1:1 aide but she was as frustrated as he was.

It was the hardest decision to make as far as he is concerned, but I reluctantly placed him in special Ed with mainstream as well. Our resource room was swamped with kids so that became pointless.

Truth be told, I see a less stressed, happier boy. I'm not thrilled with the curriculum or the slower pace but at the same time he is truly learning now. He is also taking time to learn valuable life lessons that mainstream does not allow.

He will be in high school pretty soon and I am pretty convinced we'll be homeschooling. I just feel at that point him learning from home will benefit him most regarding adulthood. All kids are different as are parenting and teaching styles. In the end, you have to do what you're comfortable with and feel is best!

Mishy2
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Can you give me a bit more info on the special ed class your son is in, with life lessons etc.. This sounds similar to what my sons current teacher suggested for our son but I am not sure and am looking for more info and insight into it. Is this special ed class a separate class in the same school your son had been going to previously, or is this a separate school altogether?

Quoting TheJerseyGirl: My son is12 and was mainstreamed until December. It was very apparent that he not only wasn't getting help, but was being rushed and pushed along with grades I don't think we're his. He has a 1:1 aide but she was as frustrated as he was. It was the hardest decision to make as far as he is concerned, but I reluctantly placed him in special Ed with mainstream as well. Our resource room was swamped with kids so that became pointless. Truth be told, I see a less stressed, happier boy. I'm not thrilled with the curriculum or the slower pace but at the same time he is truly learning now. He is also taking time to learn valuable life lessons that mainstream does not allow. He will be in high school pretty soon and I am pretty convinced we'll be homeschooling. I just feel at that point him learning from home will benefit him most regarding adulthood. All kids are different as are parenting and teaching styles. In the end, you have to do what you're comfortable with and feel is best!

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun & friendly place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat.   

by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I home school my kids. I have always have always home schooled them. My older two are 10 and almost 7. My oldest has aspergers and my second daughter has pdd-nos. They were both just diagnosed this past fall. We have always known that my oldest had aspergers, but could never get any one to listen to us. Anyway, I believe that home schooling had been better for them because I can pick and choose their social interactions and help them if/when they need it. Also, home schooling had allowed us to work at their level. My second daughter is in first grade, but we do some subjects that are kindergarten and some that are second grade. She just learned how to read. My oldest is in fourth grade, but does some stuff on a fifth grade level and some on a third grade level. Her test scores overall show her to be at the end of fifth grade for most subjects, but math is beginning third grade and language arts is sixth grade level. My 4 year old has classic autism, though she is verbal and higher functioning. She was denied all help through the public school. She is doing really well at home and unless our insurance takes away her in home therapies (aba, speech, ot, and PT) she will continue being home. With all that said, I am not one to preach that home schooling is for everyone. It works very well for our family, especially being military.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM

I dont know... Its a question better for an individual. im guessing it depends. 

I recently read: So your thinking about home schooling by Lisa Welchel. I had the book for about 2 weeks as it was recommended by a mom the the CM homeschooling group. After the first chapter I realized I was reading a book written by BLAIR from the facts of life.. AHHHH, what?? Im taking advice from Blair?! But in all seriousness each chapter was written by a different caregiver who had decided to homeschool. Why they chose to school that way, the program they were following, and how it was going... There were 3 really poignant chapters that really reasonated with me. It was a quick easy read that answers a lot of questions and really gives lots of great information about the process, some of the daily challenges, some of the perks, what you can do to set yourself up best for success and the back of the book lists tons of resources. 

My son is 7. Academically doing well in 2nd grade.. But he HATES going to school. Cries for almost 2 hours begging me not to mke him go. Asks to be homeschooled all the time... Its horrid.... But im not at the point where I could do it... Maybe when he is older and I can leave him alone and get some Mom time.. Lol.. 

SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:43 AM

i would home school if i could...it is always a battle with the school..at least in our case...but my 7 yr old just went into the autistic support classroom...and it seems to be a very good fit for him...in his case he is delayed as well as asd...but I'm more then worried about my son who is 11 and going to the Jr/Sr high school next yr....

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM

every child is different.  What works best for my child may not work for yours?  Personally, my son thrives in a school environment and he wouldn't do well at home.  Good luck!

shell3m
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:05 AM
I personally would go insane if i tried to teach Dean. His teachers do better than me but i know a lot of our kids will repeat a grade. Its better if they repeat a lower grade than say..highschool. Im totally prepared to hold Dean back a grade if i think he needs it. Its important for me that he understands the work more so than pushing him to go forward if he can't handle it. This year is really rough for him...he might be repeating the 3rd grade...and Im fine with that if he needs to. :)
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:02 AM
I want to, but I just read that homeschool students in our area lose their therapy services. We do not get any therapy through our insurance, so that would mean that my son would have absolutely no therapy (we cannot pay out of pocket). Depending on his progress through preschool, I still might decide that he's better off at home, but this is a huge factor that makes me feel like my options are extremely limited :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)