Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Speak Vitamins????

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM
  • 10 Replies

Has anyone tried 'speech' vitamins with their kids called SPEAK?  I had an autism meeting tonight where a speech pathologist was the speaker.  She said several of her non-verbal patients have had success with these Speak vitamins/supplements.  Just wondering if anyone has heard of them or used them.  I put a couple links below that tell a little about them as I really am not a resource.

http://www.speechnutrients.com/

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Product-Categories/Antioxidants-carotenoids/Omega-3-vitamin-E-mix-shows-potential-for-autistic-speech

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennymoon4
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter has used Speak for almost two years now. While it unfortunately wasn't magical for her, it has helped. I didn't think much if trying it so I didn't bother to tell anyone who works with her. After 2-3 weeks, I realized that 3-4 people had independently commented how her communication had improved. We have stopped it a couple of times & it seems to me that she has less desire to communicate as a go-to. Therefore, we keep using it. I should mention that she is nowhere near the recommended dosage. She only takes one capsule per day as when I tried to raise it to two her stimming increased. We have this reaction for her with many supplements. She apparently quite sensitive. The down side is the cost.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Do you mind sharing the cost with us?  Just curious.  Seems like all the supplements to try with our kiddos are a gouge!  Was she a non-verbal child originally or a speech delayed child with improved language, if you don't mind me asking.  I have 3 kids in speech therapy, one completely non-verbal, so just getting an idea of who it may be appropriate for if any.  Did you get approval from a dr before starting or just give it a stab based on the bottle recommendations? 

Quoting jennymoon4: My daughter has used Speak for almost two years now. While it unfortunately wasn't magical for her, it has helped. I didn't think much if trying it so I didn't bother to tell anyone who works with her. After 2-3 weeks, I realized that 3-4 people had independently commented how her communication had improved. We have stopped it a couple of times & it seems to me that she has less desire to communicate as a go-to. Therefore, we keep using it. I should mention that she is nowhere near the recommended dosage. She only takes one capsule per day as when I tried to raise it to two her stimming increased. We have this reaction for her with many supplements. She apparently quite sensitive. The down side is the cost.

KnittingMomC
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We use it, and we've seen good results.  Our daughter can speak faster. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Was she non-verbal before and then began talking or already talking and just improved?  Did you ask a doc about starting it or just buy a bottle and follow the dosage?

Quoting KnittingMomC:

jennymoon4
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM
I usually buy six boxes at a time to save some money. That offer comes to $51.95 per box. Each box has 60 capsules.

My dd is not non-verbal, but that depends how loosely one uses that term. She speaks some but is severely apraxic along with her communication challenges with classic autism diagnosis. She has a lot of problems with intelligibility of her expressive speech. So, short answer is she does have some speech & long answer is the above that makes it difficult for almost everyone to understand her. The biggest change I saw for her since beginning speak was more in what I see as her classic autism related communication challenges. I saw little improvement with the apraxia. She justs tries harder now & it seems to occur to her more that communicating is valuable? If that makes sense.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Do you mind sharing the cost with us?  Just curious.  Seems like all the supplements to try with our kiddos are a gouge!  Was she a non-verbal child originally or a speech delayed child with improved language, if you don't mind me asking.  I have 3 kids in speech therapy, one completely non-verbal, so just getting an idea of who it may be appropriate for if any.  Did you get approval from a dr before starting or just give it a stab based on the bottle recommendations? 

Quoting jennymoon4: My daughter has used Speak for almost two years now. While it unfortunately wasn't magical for her, it has helped. I didn't think much if trying it so I didn't bother to tell anyone who works with her. After 2-3 weeks, I realized that 3-4 people had independently commented how her communication had improved. We have stopped it a couple of times & it seems to me that she has less desire to communicate as a go-to. Therefore, we keep using it. I should mention that she is nowhere near the recommended dosage. She only takes one capsule per day as when I tried to raise it to two her stimming increased. We have this reaction for her with many supplements. She apparently quite sensitive. The down side is the cost.

-BeautifulRose-
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never heard of those, but I can tell you that we've seen great results when we began giving our son omega-3 supplements.

He is mostly nonverbal. Today he said "no" every time I said "yes." And when I said "stop it," he repeated it. I know he was being defiant, but it was still awesome to hear any words from him. The greatest results from the supplement are not speech related, but focus related. He's been better able to focus in school and at home. He's participating in lessons at school for longer periods. We paid close attention to the reports his teacher was giving us and he's definitely improved. We did not mention the supplement to his teacher.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Thanks. 

Quoting jennymoon4: I usually buy six boxes at a time to save some money. That offer comes to $51.95 per box. Each box has 60 capsules. My dd is not non-verbal, but that depends how loosely one uses that term. She speaks some but is severely apraxic along with her communication challenges with classic autism diagnosis. She has a lot of problems with intelligibility of her expressive speech. So, short answer is she does have some speech & long answer is the above that makes it difficult for almost everyone to understand her. The biggest change I saw for her since beginning speak was more in what I see as her classic autism related communication challenges. I saw little improvement with the apraxia. She justs tries harder now & it seems to occur to her more that communicating is valuable? If that makes sense.
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:04 AM

That's great!!!  Glad it's working for you.

This med has omega 3 in it too. 

Quoting -BeautifulRose-: I've never heard of those, but I can tell you that we've seen great results when we began giving our son omega-3 supplements. He is mostly nonverbal. Today he said "no" every time I said "yes." And when I said "stop it," he repeated it. I know he was being defiant, but it was still awesome to hear any words from him. The greatest results from the supplement are not speech related, but focus related. He's been better able to focus in school and at home. He's participating in lessons at school for longer periods. We paid close attention to the reports his teacher was giving us and he's definitely improved. We did not mention the supplement to his teacher.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 5, 2014 at 6:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never heard of these!

KnittingMomC
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 4:33 PM

She was verbal before she started taking Speak, just her speech improved after taking it.  A nutrititionist recommended it, as did another parent.  We order it over the phone from the company directly, and take 1 T. a day.  I think you can take up to 2 T., but I think 1 T. is just fine for our dd. 

We also couple the Speak with Vayarin, a medical food your doctor can RX. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Was she non-verbal before and then began talking or already talking and just improved?  Did you ask a doc about starting it or just buy a bottle and follow the dosage?

Quoting KnittingMomC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)