Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do you allow smokers around your child?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:49 AM
  • 92 Replies

Do you allow smokers around your child?  Even if they don't have medical issues, does it bother you if smokers around your children?

by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:23 AM
This gets DH and I arguing every time. He is a smoker. But I have strict rules about him smoking. No smoking in my house, or vehicle. He has to wash his hands and take the jacket and shirt off after smoking. Nicolas and I both have asthma. Mine is severe.

Everyone in both sides smoke. The problem is, my family will not smoke when Nick is around. But DH family says it's their house and they aren't going to not smoke for anyone. Which I understand, so it is my choice for us to not go there. DH does but nick and I don't.
RainyMorning28
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Love this post! i used to smok, last Feb my kids asked me to quit they wanted to me live a long timem didn't like the smell, ect...

Yes, I allow my kids around smokers, however , my kids also have no issues telling  a smoker that it causes lung cancer, you can have a heart attack, or telling the smoker that they stink. My thought is if my kids are around it they should be able to express how they feel about it.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope.  They had bad lungs and still some lingering issues. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I have asthma too.  I would need a new hubs if mine smoked, lol!

Quoting Nickmom1118: This gets DH and I arguing every time. He is a smoker. But I have strict rules about him smoking. No smoking in my house, or vehicle. He has to wash his hands and take the jacket and shirt off after smoking. Nicolas and I both have asthma. Mine is severe. Everyone in both sides smoke. The problem is, my family will not smoke when Nick is around. But DH family says it's their house and they aren't going to not smoke for anyone. Which I understand, so it is my choice for us to not go there. DH does but nick and I don't.

Macphee
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM
No, I don't.
I smoked for 6 yrs, and have quit for almost 8.
I believe in the righh to happiness. Problem is that smokers happiness infringes on my kids' right to breathe.
I saw a mom pushing her baby in the stroller, smoking. I couldn't even hold it in and asked her are you really pushing a baby and smoking. Can not stand smokers. Literally all my friends my age smoked, so I stopped hanging out with them. I hang out with people double my age for the reason that they don't smoke.
Mishy2
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Yes it does. I do not like for my children to be around smoke.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I am a smoker and so is hubby. Both trying to quit.

Simran81
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Yes, it definitely bothers me and i wouldnt allow it. Nobody in the family (in india) smokes. It is not accepted. Personally, I too can't bear the smell of smoke. My father used to smoke before my birth. I have never seen anybody in my extended family smoke.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Mar. 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM

If it's outside, I'm fine with it as long as they are standing downwind of us. I don't take my child anywhere where people are smoking inside. And my husband will have an occasional cigar and we smoke the hookah together about once a month. But neither of us are hooked and will never get hooked.

mamatink7
by Franceska on Mar. 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM

dh smokes not in house or anywhere around us

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN