Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Need ideas for my 17 yr old.

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 7:08 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello everyone,

My name is Kristen and I have a 17 yr old son Killian who has Aspergers. We have relocated to Florida (Port Charlotte area) and he is so lonely. I had him do Virtual school for now since when we came down he was so scared of the VERY LARGE high schools. In New York he had his friends he had grown up with and understood him help him with things like finding classes and peer interaction. He is so lonely now and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to groups or clubs or something for him to get involved with real people instead of just on the computer and his games.

Thanks for your time and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kristen

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome Kristen!  My son is only 5 years old with the development of an 18-24 month old so I don't have any advice but wanted to welcome you to the group:)

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

welcome!
Im still up here in NY.. so jealous youre warm! LOL... it was 13 this AM. Brrrr... Im sure you guys dont miss that!
Im wondering if there is anything Killian is interested in? Could there be some kind of group or club he could join? Does he like to play any kind of game or sport? We have a few friends whos Aspies do fencing and Archery... and are in clubs for that. Id see what he might want to learn about... and go from there.. I was listening to a podcast today about an ADHD kid who loved airplanes and lived on cape cod.. at 13 he got a job (unpaid) mowing lawns and painting buildings for fling lessons and at 16 flew a plane on his own. He made lots of friends at the little airport and a lot of caring mentors. He is working hard to get his pilots lisence... its that kind of group belonging, motovation and excitiment I know you're looking for for your guy... :) so start with an interest... :) cooking? golf? legos? Tai Chi? books at the library (he could help put them away?)

Id wonder if your local parks and recreation has any clubs, classes or ? for teens.
Wishing you all the best!!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

What's his interests? Are you open to faith based groups (like a church youth group). Are you looking for something active for him or more of a social gathering? I would check with your local YMCA, library or community center...  I hope you are able to find something. Good luck! 

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Welcome!! 

I would look into some home school groups in your area. Search that in this group - someone recently put up a home school link where you could find groups in all diffreent states. 

dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Kristen! Have you thought of searching for Social Skills groups in the area? How about clubs that match his interests? Both are great places to meet friends. I discovered in the past myself with being diagnosed officially with Asperger Syndrome that both of these tips work.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

D isn't involved with much outside of school except bowling. It's something he is now really good at and despite the crowd and noise, it's something he pretty much does on his own. He's in a league with other kids his age and he looks forward to it every week!

What about your local college? They have programs running in the Summer for kids like acting, cooking, gardeing, etc?

luvnoah10
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe start with your local ASD organization or support group to see whats available in your area. .My son is involved in social skills group, bowling and scouts plus youth group at our church

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN