Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Proposed Special Ed Changes in Michigan

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:36 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but this is important to me and I was hoping that some of you might be willing to get the word out.  

If you live in Michigan, and haven't seen this yet, you should take a moment to read through this.

Michigan is trying to slide through a bunch of changes to their Special Education Guidelines.  They are going to only accept public comments through March 13.  They only have two town-hall style meetings about this, and the locations are not convenient for many parents. They are trying to fly this very low under the radar. 

Here is a link to the proposed changes.  Among the changes are the elimination of Multidisciplinary Teams for IEPs, only requiring para-pros to have high-school educations, and changes to how ASD is determined with regard to special accommodations, and this will potentially force children who qualify for ASD support services into Mainstream classes without support.

One mom started a Change.org petition.  If you are as horrified as I am, would you please take a moment and sign the petition?  The petition is woefully short of the 10K signature goal.

Thank you.

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
t1gger143
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:40 AM
I don't think they can do this. Federal mandates require an iep team and you cannot mess with asd supports. It is not unusual for para educators to only have a high school diploma here, they must be enrolled in college courses. They start at 10.11 in my district.
AMom29
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Quoting t1gger143: I don't think they can do this. Federal mandates require an iep team and you cannot mess with asd supports. It is not unusual for para educators to only have a high school diploma here, they must be enrolled in college courses. They start at 10.11 in my district.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if they got this through.  I hope you are right, though.

IEP teams will still be there, but they are changing WHO is part of that team.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I signed the petition.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM
How's it going mama?

Quoting t1gger143: I don't think they can do this. Federal mandates require an iep team and you cannot mess with asd supports. It is not unusual for para educators to only have a high school diploma here, they must be enrolled in college courses. They start at 10.11 in my district.
t1gger143
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Good how are you?

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid: How's it going mama?

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:32 PM
So so. Ds is progressing but they told me - or led me to believe that he would be mainstreamed in K with supports, but now they tell me they want him to stay in an autism classroom... really bummed about that but trying to keep my chin up

Quoting t1gger143:

Good how are you?

t1gger143
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe throughout the year he can mainstream a bit at a time. It is unknown for ds for 2nd grade right now. He is currently main streamed all but 2 hours a day, however they are changing their autism program.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid: So so. Ds is progressing but they told me - or led me to believe that he would be mainstreamed in K with supports, but now they tell me they want him to stay in an autism classroom... really bummed about that but trying to keep my chin up

Quoting t1gger143:

Good how are you?

AMom29
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Thank you.  :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I signed the petition.

JCKitten87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:57 AM
Signed
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:05 AM
Signed. I thought the link wasn't posted.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)