Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

disappointment in his progress/regression

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM
  • 9 Replies
It catapulted me into a "depression" . Has this ever happened to you? What did you do to get out of it?
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry Mama!!  I can't say I've ever had 'depression' and I am sorry you are dealing with that.  I can tell you 2 of my 3 kids with SNs have in six years of early intervention and preschool have never once passed a goal.  And while I could get bogged down in that and focus my energy there, I choose to focus on all the progress they have made in that time.  Just because the school measures it's success by certain standards does not mean I measure by the same.  And when we go through times of regression, I remind myself we've been through it before, we always come out of it, and things move forward again.  Life with our kids is just a phase of one step back, two steps forward, but we keep going.  Try to remember the good, the progress, the gain, the fun, the joy that you have with your child, and maybe that will help you get out of the slump?  That and maybe some really good chocolate, beverage of your choice, a night off, maybe even a dr visit and some depression meds?  Hugs Mama!!  Hope it turns upward again soon!!   

Linda733
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

So far my son has come so far. He ages out of EI in June and doesn't start the summer program until July so I was concerned about him regressing. However, he will still be receiving his outpatient therapies plus all that I do with him so I'm hopeful he will be fine. I haven't felt the depression in quite some time now but when I did it was awful. I do not wish that on anybody. I'm so sorry that you are feeling this way and I wish I knew what to say to help. Just stay focused on the good things and in time things will get better. I didn't believe that when people first told me that but they were right and it did pass. I'm hugging you!! I would also just like to add that I put myself in therapy and received help from a wonderful dr there. Maybe you can try therapy. 

Linda733
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Btw I'm always here for you if you need to talk. Just pm me..hugs :) 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh God YES! But I habe to say, it goes away with the slightest victory. But I also think that's not the only reason the sadness comes in...I think it's a lot of things in life happening at once and this just doesn;t help!

In the meantime, go out and do a little something that brings a smile to your face!

Hugs, mama, hope you start to feel a little better.

Macphee
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
It is very normal to feel this way. It took us literally 2 yrs before ds was able to sit and wait in a chair without redirection. He started kindergarten with a large group and regressed, learning new stimms.
The trick is to tell yourself with a regression can come a burst of progress. Also with progress comes new behaviors. It sounds as if you need to do something that makes you happy.
hockeyfans30
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

That would be hard!  Yes, it can be depressing when they regress.  If it get's too bad, please consider seeing your doctor about it as sometimes you might need a boost to get you back to yourself.  I did and I am so glad I did it!   

samomama
by Sally on Mar. 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mamma! DS doesn't even have a dx yet, but I have found myself extremly down and low energy and worried. And I am so much afraid of regression. Hugs!!! And if you need help, as some awesome moms here suggested, do ask for help please.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

It stinks when we get stuck in a "funk".   Give it time, it sounds so cliche but it works.  If a true need appears you will figure out how to help.  You will see it over time vs. jumping to something now, wasting energy, time and money to chase our tail. Then we're even more tired and depressed.  I allow myself a few days to "pout" and then I get to work on the issue.  Hang in there!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I went to see a therapist for myself. I take meds for depression and anxiety. It helps to talk to someone who has no say or judgement in anything. I also found walking and journaling a great way to clear my head

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN