Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

very picky eater

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 3yr old with autism hardly eats anything it is soooo frustrating he Will be starting a feeding program soon in the meantime what should I do cuz he can go days without eating but only a uhh handful of things

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
neveragain17
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:22 PM
No clue but here a bump for you :)
Bunchy30
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Mobile Photo

This is khalib
Bunchy30
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM
This is Cameron
Bunchy30
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Mobile Photo

Cameron
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:11 AM

My son who is 4 is a very picky eater. He will not eat fruits, veggies, meat or anything soft. He eats mostly crunchy finger foods. He started feeding therapy at the end of last year. About a month ago a speech therapist started to work with his feeding therapist because they told me has extreme sensory with his mouth. Which I already knew. He has sensory processing disorder (spd). That's a whole other story... But going back to food. About a month ago he started letting me touch food to his lips which is huge for him to do that. Last week he actually took a bite of a potato. He has started to take bites of meat too. The feeding therapy has been wonderful for him. His therapists are so great. We keep offering food for him at home too. A lot of what the therapists do with I do at home too.  

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 9, 2014 at 6:56 AM

My son was always a icky eater too! I tried to balance the good with the bad...meaning he got a treat of his own choice when he ate something a little healthier first. I also let him choose food inthe grocery store and let him help in the kitchen. Kids want to eat what they make themselves!

Bunchy30
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Thanks Amanda and Michelle for your / input
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Figure out textures he likes. It took forever for us to find out ds loves crunchy.
Until then cereal bars and ensure. Its a phase even for NT. I chose not to fight my son on it. He had to detox to even have an appetite.
johnns
by Johnna on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Sallys diet is horrible! Sweets & salts- and its starting to show. We've developed bad eating habits while DH has been gone and when I was working.
I'm hoping with the move, me being back to SAHM, things will improve. DH updated the kitchen- yay, so that helps when having to cook all the time. Small town has 2 places to eat. Store is one house & across the street! I haven't had that convenience in 10 yrs!
Best part, DH is GREAT with Sally, he just might get her to try new things.
So happy about my family getting back to a 'traditional' way of life: steady work, ALL kids back in school ( no more homeschooling! ), me at home!! And a house big enough for all of us- we've been living in a 3 br house with a family of 6!

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

My son was always a icky eater too! I tried to balance the good with the bad...meaning he got a treat of his own choice when he ate something a little healthier first. I also let him choose food inthe grocery store and let him help in the kitchen. Kids want to eat what they make themselves!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)