Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

very picky eater

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 3yr old with autism hardly eats anything it is soooo frustrating he Will be starting a feeding program soon in the meantime what should I do cuz he can go days without eating but only a uhh handful of things

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
neveragain17
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:22 PM
No clue but here a bump for you :)
Bunchy30
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Mobile Photo

This is khalib
Bunchy30
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM
This is Cameron
Bunchy30
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Mobile Photo

Cameron
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:11 AM

My son who is 4 is a very picky eater. He will not eat fruits, veggies, meat or anything soft. He eats mostly crunchy finger foods. He started feeding therapy at the end of last year. About a month ago a speech therapist started to work with his feeding therapist because they told me has extreme sensory with his mouth. Which I already knew. He has sensory processing disorder (spd). That's a whole other story... But going back to food. About a month ago he started letting me touch food to his lips which is huge for him to do that. Last week he actually took a bite of a potato. He has started to take bites of meat too. The feeding therapy has been wonderful for him. His therapists are so great. We keep offering food for him at home too. A lot of what the therapists do with I do at home too.  

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 9, 2014 at 6:56 AM

My son was always a icky eater too! I tried to balance the good with the bad...meaning he got a treat of his own choice when he ate something a little healthier first. I also let him choose food inthe grocery store and let him help in the kitchen. Kids want to eat what they make themselves!

Bunchy30
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Thanks Amanda and Michelle for your / input
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Figure out textures he likes. It took forever for us to find out ds loves crunchy.
Until then cereal bars and ensure. Its a phase even for NT. I chose not to fight my son on it. He had to detox to even have an appetite.
johnns
by Johnna on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Sallys diet is horrible! Sweets & salts- and its starting to show. We've developed bad eating habits while DH has been gone and when I was working.
I'm hoping with the move, me being back to SAHM, things will improve. DH updated the kitchen- yay, so that helps when having to cook all the time. Small town has 2 places to eat. Store is one house & across the street! I haven't had that convenience in 10 yrs!
Best part, DH is GREAT with Sally, he just might get her to try new things.
So happy about my family getting back to a 'traditional' way of life: steady work, ALL kids back in school ( no more homeschooling! ), me at home!! And a house big enough for all of us- we've been living in a 3 br house with a family of 6!

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

My son was always a icky eater too! I tried to balance the good with the bad...meaning he got a treat of his own choice when he ate something a little healthier first. I also let him choose food inthe grocery store and let him help in the kitchen. Kids want to eat what they make themselves!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)