Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Summer Camp?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Jen
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this
Are your kids going to do any camps this summer?

I just signed Liam up for a Communication Camp. It's two weeks long, 1:00-4:00 pm each day. And it's staffed by speech language pathologists and graduate students. Here is the description:

The Communication Camp brings together children and youth with and without communication challenges to explore their world and improve their communication skills while participating in camp activities.

Since Liam has a communication challenge, it only costs us $25.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM

nope. Sam hates camp. LOL.There is one he MAY consider going to.. its a robot camp- where you build robots and play with computers. But you have to be 8.. and he is 7.

We will visit my dad on the beach in NC for about a week... and then hubby and I usually take Sam on vacation for 2 weeks in August... so thats 3 weeks of plans...

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM

My kids go to a Christian day  camp ran by a local church..it's 6 weeks 4 mornings but you can pick and chose when you want to send your kids and we usually pick a week or 2 and last week they went on Mondays...they have water days every Thursday so they both asked if they could go on Thursdays this year.. My kids love it and one of Ashton's TSS went with him last year to keep him from not doing his own thing or wondering off on his own.  Our church does a sports camp one week and VBS  later in the summer so my kids will be doing those as well.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I are trying to find a dance or gymnastics camp for our son in our area. 

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
We are trying karate camp this summer , 3 days a week.
Senile-felines
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:38 PM
For two weeks, he'll be going to Boy Scout camp. The first week is leadership camp (you had to be selected) the 2nd week is the troop camp. They are all overnights. His 12 year old brother will go to the 2nd week troop camp. I always miss them, but their stories, when they come home, are priceless...
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM
No. I would love to get him into something. But with things so tight, I don't see how. Plus I don't know of many things like that.
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:51 PM

No. Both of my boys go the extended school year. 

amonkeymom
by Amy on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:52 PM

No, at least I haven't found anything for him yet.  

I hope Liam enjoys his program.  $25 is a GREAT deal!

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:24 PM

We do church camps during the day in summer.  I'm too scared to try any overnight camps yet, I'm uncomfortable with him being gone all day and night without a family member.  The camp you're describing sounds fun and productive!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:34 PM

My daughter may go to a hearing/speech camp if she is chosen.  It is 3 hours a day for 2 days a week for 6 weeks.  But is $900 and an hour and a half drive each way, so we'll see if she gets in, if we can make it work, and if we can afford it.

She also may do a feeding clinic camp that is three weeks Mon-Fri for 3 hours a day, also an hour and half away and not sure the cost yet.  Lots up in the air.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)