Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What am I going to do this summer?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM
  • 20 Replies

My son has school on Mon/Wed/Fri. He was sick on Monday and we had ANOTHER snow day today, so tomorrow we'll be on day 4 in a row with nothing to do. I can't take much more of this!! It's dawned on me that if my son doesn't get into the summer school program (he probably won't), we're going to have over two months of this. TWO MONTHS! I need some ideas for things to do if we're going to survive. He'll be turning 3 in July. What can I do with a 3 year old? He seems to be doing *better* in public, so with any luck, he might enjoy story time at the library, and maybe he'll actually stay on the playground for 5 minutes instead of bolting. Any ideas? Thanks! 

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Is there a pool or something that you could join? I would love for Nick to go to a camp of some sort. But that doesn't look like its going to happen. But we always join a pool. It is about 5 minutes from my house. (Actually in PA) But he has always loved it. We started to join it when I was pregnant with him. Last year was the best. He was old enough to manage the water and play. And even wanted to go in the big pool. So, that is our plan. We are probably going to be there every day that he doesn't have therapy. I am still also hoping he gets into the ESY. But I don't think thats going to happen.

Arkmom2Two
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Are you looking for ideas for socializing or just general things to keep him busy?

I've found, just for keeping the kiddos busy, depending upon what your little guy likes that, sand tables/water tables and sensory bins are a god send during the summer months, you can even find some great ideas for DIY projects online.  I always wanted to do a mud kitchen outside when mine were little because I loved mud when I was a child.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Does he lie to swim? Joining our community pool and taking Ashton swimming as much as possible has saved my sanity. He swims so hard that he is calm when we come home.

cookiemimster
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
If you live close to a college/university they may have programs for socialization. These clinics usually have a small number of kids and it would be run by the schools department of education or speech.
SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with swimming lessons. Check out the local gymnastic studios to see if they offer classes for special needs kids. There are horse back riding lessons or music classes too. 

I just google and do my own research to find places for my DS.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:08 AM

These ladies have some good ideas.  We have a museum that my son likes.  Hugs!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM

oh kate I feel your pain.. summers are hard... UGH.. Sam hates camp so thats a no go for us... pool, museums, just a fun day trip to a local mountain to do a short hike. Take a drive to get milkshakes, sprinklers in the yard.
I do hire a sitter (when he was little a moms helper) to entertain for a bit... although it didnt go great when he was 3... but maybe you guys will do better. I get a sitter for 3 mornings now.. and one of those mornings gos til 2pm so I can golf. Remember, if momma aint happy... lol... you need to keep your sanity and if that means something else gets compromised for a few weeks- then so be it.... its 8 weeks.... in the big picture, whatever you decide... its a short period of time for you to figure out.... days are long- weeks go quick...

johnns
by Johnna on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Sally loves water! We get a pool- she will play for HOURS! Sand/ water tables are good too. She's 5 now, 3's are hard- I think I have purposely forgotten those days-rough!
Take it one day at a time. Know that your not alone- all parents freak out over summer! Lol I've been homeschooling 2 out 3 kids for a few years now- snow days & summer doesn't really count! Lol
bugsforever
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:28 AM

This is so right,

Quoting SamMom912:

oh kate I feel your pain.. summers are hard... UGH.. Sam hates camp so thats a no go for us... pool, museums, just a fun day trip to a local mountain to do a short hike. Take a drive to get milkshakes, sprinklers in the yard.I do hire a sitter (when he was little a moms helper) to entertain for a bit... although it didnt go great when he was 3... but maybe you guys will do better. I get a sitter for 3 mornings now.. and one of those mornings gos til 2pm so I can golf. Remember, if momma aint happy... lol... you need to keep your sanity and if that means something else gets compromised for a few weeks- then so be it.... its 8 weeks.... in the big picture, whatever you decide... its a short period of time for you to figure out.... days are long- weeks go quick...

I just joined a gym this fall that offers a low cost sitting program and they are more than happy to have both my kids for 1 1/2 hrs every day if I was that dedicated. I only go the most 2 times a week but its so nice to just have time to clear my mind. LOA is the name of it - I think its a national chain. Or I have my kids do outside crafts on nice days followed by a picnic on our patio. On icky days have lots of his favorite play things close by and  a movie then help him make something or play a board game. I love those days - but when you need time off take it if possible. Maybe a family member he responses well to, or a favorite babysitter. Bugs is so comfortable with our regular babysitter that he didn't even freak when she brought he boyfriend over to meet us. (she might as well be family). Also he might just like a slow short walk every morning before getting time to do his own thing. Just take it one day at a time and enjoy the little parts of summer break. It goes too quick for me now that Bugs is in school every day all week long. I get so I miss him. Sounds funny I know. Blessingsfloating in pool

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Looks like the closest pool is over 20 minutes away. I'll definitely take him there, but probably not every day. We have a lake 2 miles down the road with a "beach" and lifeguards though, so I think that will probably be something we do much more often. I wanted to take him there last summer, but he was just so unmanageable that I couldn't even bring myself to do it once! I think (hope) he'll be able to stay in one place and play with sand toys and what not this year though.

Quoting Nickmom1118:

Is there a pool or something that you could join? I would love for Nick to go to a camp of some sort. But that doesn't look like its going to happen. But we always join a pool. It is about 5 minutes from my house. (Actually in PA) But he has always loved it. We started to join it when I was pregnant with him. Last year was the best. He was old enough to manage the water and play. And even wanted to go in the big pool. So, that is our plan. We are probably going to be there every day that he doesn't have therapy. I am still also hoping he gets into the ESY. But I don't think thats going to happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN