Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Help Satisfying the Sensory Needs

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:27 PM
  • 12 Replies

My autistic daughter, Zuri is 6 years old.  She has Sensory Processing Disorder as well.  I have tried weighted blankets, music, and massages to help her sleep at night.   She is often gets less than 5 hours of sleep and is tired throughout the day.  She pulls me on top of her (and now she has started pulling random persons) to receive the pressure to soothe her needs.  Does anyone have any suggestions to help her sleep and satisfy her urge(s) for pressure?

by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lcherniske
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:32 PM
I have some luck with a DVD played all night called " make a wish little fish" off Amazon- plays instrumental music and shows fish swimming and can be played for 30 min . Or continuously. I also have had some luck putting a body pillow on top of my son after he falls asleep.
LadyAmaranth
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Have you tried compression vests, I've heard they are helpful when other things aren't doing it.

~Amaranth Dhanya~

Mama to 3 Joyfully Chaotic boys

Widow to my Crazy Chicken(4-8-13)....Always My Love

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM
I was going to suggest the compression vests as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JayByrd
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Thank you.  I think I may try both.  She wears a weighted vest in class, but her teacher did not think it made a difference.  However, I have not tried the compression vest.   

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:52 AM

I was also going to suggest a compression vest, and I like the idea of a body pillow. It's inexpensive compared to  the vest and may work!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:04 AM

These ladies have good ideas...good luck!

luvnoah10
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:04 AM

When my son was younger, his OT suggested using an air matress (half deflated) and he would lay on it and we would fold in half and apply pressure (we pretend he was a taco...he loved it) we also would roll him in a piece of stretchy fabric (bought a yard of it at the fabric store...cheaper than a body sock) anyway these were 2 things we did with him for sensory input (these were great daytime activities when he was awake)

JayByrd
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Thank you.  This sounds like a great and inexpensive daytime activity for her.  I will try this for sure.  

jamiekoch
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:55 PM
My 5 year old son has spans of no sleep for days or very little. I have noticed normally if he sleeps with me and my husband he mostly sleeps through the night. I have tried putting extra blankets on his bed and stuffed animals around him for security. After reading your post I wonder if he has sensory issues.
Mommy071013
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:34 PM
My son loves being rolled tight in a blanket. Helps him calm down and sleep. We are work on getting his a compression vest during day.
These ladies gave a lot of good ideas. Hope something helps her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN