Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Introducing myself.

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

My name is Sarah. I am a stay at home mom of 4 kids. 3biological, 1step son. My step son Mikey is on the spectrum. He is 3 and still completely non-verbal. He goes to a preschool that specializes in sensory disorders and autism. He is so smart and I am so proud to be his step mom...or mama Sarah. But I am having a hard time seeing my other young (7,5 &4) struggle for some of the attention that he is getting. Any suggestions on how to keep a very "I want to be alone with mama Sarah" step son involved so the other kids don't feel so left out?

by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Welcome! I think you'll get some great ideas here. I'm not really sure what I'd do in your situation. Is it that your stepson doesn't like having the other kids around?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyAmaranth
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Hello and welcome!

I'm Hillarie, I have three sons(10, 7 1/2, & 6). My oldest has PDD NOS and Adhd and Mood disorder.

I don't have any suggestions but wanted to say hi!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Welcome to the group Sarah!  I have a 5.5 year old that is Autistic and nonverbal.  He's our only child though.

terri-553
by Terri on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:51 AM

welcome to cafemom

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Welcome to the group. I recently put a sensory room together for my daughter, who is also very attention needy and clingy. I filled it with things that I read would possibly keep her busy and stimulated while I spend time with the other kids. It has worked really well so far and even if you don't have a room to use then maybe a small area with a few things that might keep him busy.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome Sarah! We're guilty of giving our son more attention than our older two...you just can't help it! We've always done this:

I'm sure each of your kids get their individual attention, but maybe when you are out for groceries or running errands you could take each child individually. Stop somewhere for a quick lunch or a special treat and just take a ride to spend some time together.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Welcome to the group. My kids are 9, 7 and 2 and our 9 yo is on the spectrum. It definitely has been a juggling act at our house. I wouldn't be able to do it with out my hubby's help. We are able to split a lot of the responsibilities and juggle activities and attention of all 3 of our kids but I wish my parents lived closer so we could have more help.  My younger kids only know our life so it's not like we threw something new into the mix and they have adapted to this lifestyle. We try to split the attention evenly but having a child on the spectrum ahe a  toddler int he house I often feel like my 7 yo gets the short end of the stick but she never complains and her being the only girl she sure gets plenty of attention and she has a lot of friends including our next door neighbor so when she is feeling left out our neighbors are wonderful at lending a hand. I hope you find something that works for your family... It may take awhile but you will get there. Hugs! 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi Sarah and welcome to the group. It can be hard when you have one on the spectrum and another that is not. We have to make special time for our dd so that she doesn't feel left out. I mean my son has school and therapies 5 days a week from morning to night. We enrolled our dd into gymnastics and try to do things with just her to let her know that she matters just as much as her brother does. It's hard I will admit it and I do fear resentment at times but she loves her brother and understands that he is different and needs help.

I would encourage your other children to help you ss in therapies. They could play and teach him things like rolling or throwing a ball, they could help him learn words by picture cards so that he can make requests using them. Let them be part of his everyday home therapies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)