Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do you hide your child's diagnosis?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Amy
  • 39 Replies

I know there are some parents out there who don't want their friends or family members to know that they have a child on the autism spectrum for whatever reason.  Are you one of them?

If you hide (or have ever hidden) your child's diagnosis, why?

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't if I wanted to.  It's obvious.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, never did. I'm  not good at hiding anything let alone something like that. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I don't walk around announcing it to everyone but I definitely don't hide it. I have been known to have long talks about autism with strangers at the park, or at Barnes and Noble. 

DACIA79
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM
I don't hide it but I don't mention it unless its necessary.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting trippyhippy:

I couldn't if I wanted to.  It's obvious.

Yeah.... Sigh... Mine too.... He CAN present well.. But anyone who spends any amount of time with him gets that "puppy head cock to one side thinking" - whats up with this one... LOL... :) 

LadyAmaranth
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM

No, I don't go around saying it but if asked or the moment warrants it, I have no issues telling.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope, out and proud! 

Seriously, how could you hide my kid's diagnoses!!  We're a bit obvious.

Kaliary
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:08 PM

My son is so frustrating, it's good to have a reason WHY he's the way he is... Now they don't think I'm just a bad mom who can't control her kid. ;) 

baby 

baby

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope, there's nothing wrong with being autistic, and if someone out there has some kind of a problem with it, then they simply aren't people that we want in our lives. 

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Not at all. I couldn't hide it if I wanted to, but I am more than happy to tell anyone who will listen that she has Autism and you will be amazed how people are genuinely interested in knowing more about it because sadly, most people have a very generic idea of what it is and seem to appreciate the enlightenment. Knowledge breeds acceptance, and that's what my princess needs.
aakeiser
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM
No I don't. I had a friend her two children have cf and she hides it from them. I am sorry I don't agree with that. My thing is if something happens at a friends house or they are anywhere out their parents and something happens to one of the kids. The other will not beable to tell anyone what is wrong with the other child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN