Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Smelling things?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM
  • 33 Replies
My daughter has picked up a new ... Habit I guess you'd say. She touches her food and smells her hands, other items as well, her toys, the couches, tables, me, it's really weird. Does anyone else's kids so this? An if so do you have any idea why? She does get mad of she doesn't like the smell and cries for me to clean her hands.
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
neveragain17
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Bump
neveragain17
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Bump
Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I do that. Always have. I randomly will do it with items and my husband smiles. I smack him gently. 

neveragain17
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Lol it seems to be getting worse. She does it constantly. I try to re-direct her but it's not helping. As I'm typing she came up and tapped me and said "mommy" the she smelled her hand haha

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I do that. Always have. I randomly will do it with items and my husband smiles. I smack him gently. 

Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Yeah it was worse during parts of my life. I went through years where I would sniff all the time. When I was in my teens I was anal about everything. I sniffed every shampoo, detergent, lotion, soap, etc in the store. I sniffed food and even family. I know that it started when my aunt smelled bad. I remember smelling things and suddenly she didn't smell right anymore and I became phobic of her due to her smell. Well it turns out she was deathly ill and I was the only one who could tell. She told her mother and she immediately freaked and took her to the hospital for a scan of her baby. I could just smell it. I wouldn't be in the same room with her without having a meltdown.

Quoting neveragain17: Lol it seems to be getting worse. She does it constantly. I try to re-direct her but it's not helping. As I'm typing she came up and tapped me and said "mommy" the she smelled her hand haha
Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

neveragain17
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Omg that's crazy.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Yeah it was worse during parts of my life. I went through years where I would sniff all the time. When I was in my teens I was anal about everything. I sniffed every shampoo, detergent, lotion, soap, etc in the store. I sniffed food and even family. I know that it started when my aunt smelled bad. I remember smelling things and suddenly she didn't smell right anymore and I became phobic of her due to her smell. Well it turns out she was deathly ill and I was the only one who could tell. She told her mother and she immediately freaked and took her to the hospital for a scan of her baby. I could just smell it. I wouldn't be in the same room with her without having a meltdown.

Quoting neveragain17: Lol it seems to be getting worse. She does it constantly. I try to re-direct her but it's not helping. As I'm typing she came up and tapped me and said "mommy" the she smelled her hand haha
Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Autistics have heightened senses. My doctors were not shocked at all that I could do that. It saved her life because she was going into toxemia. 

Quoting neveragain17: Omg that's crazy.
neveragain17
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:36 PM
Heightened senses!! I didn't even think of that. It's a sensory thing! How amazing that you were able to do that without even trying!

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Autistics have heightened senses. My doctors were not shocked at all that I could do that. It saved her life because she was going into toxemia. 

Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Oh I thought you got that it was a heightened sense. Yeah I have very heightened scent, hearing, and sight. But I can be cut open and stay completely sane. I just pant and cry but it should be a lot worse. 

Quoting neveragain17: Heightened senses!! I didn't even think of that. It's a sensory thing! How amazing that you were able to do that without even trying!
Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

neveragain17
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:41 PM
I didn't really connect the two. She has touch and noise sensitivities as well.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Oh I thought you got that it was a heightened sense. Yeah I have very heightened scent, hearing, and sight. But I can be cut open and stay completely sane. I just pant and cry but it should be a lot worse. 

Quoting neveragain17: Heightened senses!! I didn't even think of that. It's a sensory thing! How amazing that you were able to do that without even trying!
Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN