Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What books helped you the most?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM
  • 10 Replies

I'm looking for some good books to read on PDD-NOS and Autisim.  Which books did you really like and why?

Thanks!!

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Carly's voice helped me a lot because of her ability to describe behaviors from her perspective. For example, I had no clue that I have echolalia, but after reading her book I realized that I wasn't crazy and talking to myself for no reason, but that I was actually repeating things that I was trying to process. I'd also highly recommend the autism discussion page on Facebook, even though it's not a book (yet).
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM

BUmp!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Ross greene "the Explosive Child" for giving me better lenses to see m son thru..  Was looking at his behavior as a choice and a battle of wills .. My way vs his way,, and Ross Greene showed me the grey in the middle. 

"its so much work to be your friend" by Richard Lavoie, who was an educator and a principal.. He loved children with learning disabilities and wrote a book aout howpervasive they are. They effect EVERYTHING in a childs life.. And how to help them

No more Meltdowns by Jed Baker- a simple look at where to start, what to try... And when that doesnt work, see Ross Greene.. 

raising a sensory smart child by Biel and the sensory sensitive child by smith/gouze--- and how sensory issues effect daily behavior. 

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM

This site has been extremely helpful.  Books: autism life skills by Chantal sicile-kira, the difficult child by Turecki. Parents guide to the strong willed child by Pickhardt. Overcoming autism by Koegel and Lazebnik. Non autism related I liked honey, I wrecked the kids by Schafer. And when I need a reality break the Stephanie plum series by Janet Evanovich make me laugh. 

Kaaden
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:50 AM

Hi there!  I also read Carly's voice and thought it was interesting.  I'm currently reading From anxiety to meltdown by Deborah Lipsky and it is really useful.

to be honest though, I mainly read to escape from dealing with autism, so all kids of things.  Sometimes we all need a bit of time out!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:25 AM

When my son was young the internet was my best friend!

Fyremommy
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I am currently reading Raising a Sensory Smart Child and have heard The Out of Sync Child is a great resource as well.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Carly's Voice, The way I see it by Temple Grandin, Dancing with Max

NatashaEvesmom
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Thanks!  I also have found this site VERY helpful especially since I feel like I'm at square one and so many of you have such great advice and have real experiences. 

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:44 PM

123Magic, without a doubt! 

i was struggling so much to find a form of discapline that worked for her. and nothing did. but when i started 123magic, it was like a god send

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)