Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

You know you're an autism mom when...

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:16 PM
  • 47 Replies
4 moms liked this

When your kid can keep better track of a schedule than you can!  lol

Today I took my daughter to school at the usual time.  It wasn't until I got home and was talking to my son (high functioning) that he asked me why I took DD to school so early on a Wednesday since she has late start on Wednesday and goes at the same time as him.  Oops!

How do YOU know that you are an autism parent? 

by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this

When your son likes to be naked and you don't care as long as you're home. Or you warn friends not to ring the doorbell because it will cause a meltdown.

lisa12121
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

You know you are an autism mom when you go to a child's birthday party and your child sits in a corner crying the whole party. Then, when you are about to leave, they decide they are finally ready to socialize!

amijustlookin
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this

When my son reminds me to say blesh you every time he sneazes or corrects me when I put his toys in the wrong bin or I gave him the same vitamin two days in a row (I alternate flinstones and lil critters every other day) "I already had flinstone, its bear vitamin silly mommy!"

such a stinker! but keeps me on track!

ilovethebeach88
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM

When you bring 5 snacks with you in the car because you never know what kind of mood he will be in that day and don't want a meldown.

tictacmama
by Arlea on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:38 PM
3 moms liked this

when you're school tries to give your son smaller boots because his keep " falling off" but you know, not only are the new boots too small, but his boots aren't falling off. He's scraping, dragging, pulling and taking them off because he hates shoes. In the summer I don't even bother unless we're going somewhere because the boy hates shoes!

Shai4710
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:05 PM
6 moms liked this

When your kid can operate a computer better than you ever could!!!!

kerryket
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:19 PM
When I drop my son off at his college class and say, look, people in class may ask you about the boot on your hurt leg in a friendly way, and give him a few replies that could work as a friendly reply. (Though he's actually pretty witty with a wry sense of humor WHEN he's comfortable with people)
JAY0014
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this

When you warn your lady friends that my son will try to kiss you on the lips..

luvnoah10
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 4:37 PM
2 moms liked this

When your child asked this question and responds with  this statement after he is told he has gingivitis..His question to me  "Isn't that a gum disease? My response "yes, it is" His response " How can I have gingivitis when I don't even chew gum???" LOL.

luvnoah10
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:25 PM
6 moms liked this

When you pack the same lunchable in his lunchbox everyday for school because he refuses to try anything new ...

When you buy the exact same foods every week at the store becasue you child won't eat them unless they are a specific brand...

When you have to go online to buy a specific kind of toothpaste for him becasue the stores no longer carry it...

When you rub his feet everynight because he needs that to calm down before he goes to bed...

When you sit down and watch the same cartoon with him over and over again because its his favorite...

When you let him play with his toys in rice even though it gets all over the carpet because you see how much fun he's having...

When you go to the amusement park and he wants to ride the monorail again and again because its his favorite ride...

When you feel like you have to explain your child to a complete stranger because they have a rude comment to make when your child is acting up in the community...

When after school activities not only include scouts and bowling but also mobile therapy and social skills group...

These are just a few that came to mind...I'm sure many of you moms can relate and have much more to add to the list...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)