Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I'm glad my son is Autistic

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:07 PM
  • 76 Replies
13 moms liked this

I know that sounds very strange, but it's the honest to goodness truth.

Most of you ladies know my son Brady has Cystic Fibrosis.  CF is a progressive disease with no cure and an average life expectancy of late 20s-early 30s for my son.  Some patients live longer depending on the kind of bacteria in their lungs.  Brady spends a lot of time doing treatments, medicines, tube feeds, chest therapy, etc.  He is THE happiest little boy on the planet and he doesn't think he is missing out on ANYTHING in life.  So, why should I feel sorry for him?  He isn't sad, so why should I be sad that he's Autistic?

I'm glad he lives in his own world and doesn't understand what people say or do.  I'm glad he doesn't hear and see the cruelty in this world.  All the things people have asked me and said to me over the past 5.5 years...he hasn't heard or understood any of it.  I'm glad.  I'm very glad he has the mentality of an 18 month old and the understanding of a 13 month old.  This saves him from being heartbroken at school when others don't play with him for whatever reason, or other kids ask him questions or make comments about his behavior or related things.  He doesn't understand and he honestly doesn't care.  He is perfectly content playing by himself as he stims 24/7.  

All we want for him is to be happy.  We want him to live as long as he can while being happy and not suffering.  Brady has suffered in the past from being sick so much.  His suffering will get worse, as his lungs and disgestive system continue to fill with mucus, and the mucus takes over every organ in his body, eventually killing him.  So, until that time, as long as he's happy, I could care in the least what he does.

Brady's Autism is allowing us a few more years before we have to explain to him that he has a terminal illness that will cause him to live a very short life.  

So, yes, I'm glad my son is Autistic.

by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM
:)
hugs for when you have to tell hum tho. Glad he won't understand and have to worry about it for awhile yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks:)  It will be a hard conversation to have, but I have so many friends w/ CF kids Brady's age and they are doing this right now.  The heartache and tough conversations are really sad.  I'm just grateful I have more time before we get there.  

Quoting Jenn8604: :) hugs for when you have to tell hum tho. Glad he won't understand and have to worry about it for awhile yet.

ballerina.2006
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:55 PM
We are very new to the autism world and this touched me! Thank you for your positive outlook!
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:13 PM
I always love and appreciate your outlook on everything. I know that conversation won't be easy for you when you do have it.

But until then, I'm happy to hear that you are just happy that Brady is a happy child with no worries.

Hugs!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM

We are blessed to have such an amazing child:)  Thanks!

Quoting ballerina.2006: We are very new to the autism world and this touched me! Thank you for your positive outlook!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Quoting Nickmom1118: I always love and appreciate your outlook on everything. I know that conversation won't be easy for you when you do have it. But until then, I'm happy to hear that you are just happy that Brady is a happy child with no worries. Hugs!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM
You Darby are truely an amazing person! Hugs mama :-)
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting wildchild.com: You Darby are truely an amazing person! Hugs mama :-)

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I understand so much of that in regards to the development/understanding Darby, as you know.  I do feel for you for when that conversation occurs.  That will be so hard on all of you, I can't even imagine it.  Brady is an amazing boy with amazing parents.  He's going to have a great life, no matter how long it is!!

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:09 PM
That was beautiful; enjoy every minute with him!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)