Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

A very humbling experience!

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:11 AM
  • 9 Replies
5 moms liked this

I haven't been on a lot lately due to taking over my grandfather's appliance shop. I bring Hunter with me every day and so far it seems to work for the most part. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to tell people they canNOT touch my son. As, most of you already know, touching him and showing too much attention just sets him off the rest of the day and that becomes exhausting. Anyway, last Friday I had a lady call wanting to purchase a dryer. I told her she could look at our selection online and just call me back with what she wanted and we'd deliver that afternoon for her. She called back and decided on a set and gave me all the details how to get there and times and etc.

Sean (my SO) and my grandfather went and delivered it that afternoon. He noticed she was wearing a shirt with a child and said Autism on it. We live in a VERY small town so knowing someone else with Autism is not a normal thing around here. They set up the washer and dryer and tested it out to make sure everything was okay. They walked outside to leave and her husband pulled up. My grandfather went to asking if they had a pool since they had a nice privacy fence put up out back. He said no, he has a son that doesn't answer when they call and likes to run. He had got away from them and by the time they found him he was down the road near a mailbox about to run in the road so they built a fence and made him a play area that was safe. Sean asked did their son happen to have Autism and he said yes!!! This was huge for Sean as he has had no one (especially males) to talk to about it but he has already come to accept that Hunter has it. They talked for a while and it was just another confirmation for Sean about Hunter. They started like we have and have already went through all that we are going through now.  When they left, Sean called me to tell me about what happened. He was completely stunned at the whole experience.

I recieved a phone call about 5 minutes later from the lady. She explained that she had heard that we suspect our son to have Autism and that they have a 3 year old son with Autism. We talked for the longest time. She was extremely understanding and helpful! As it turned out, they had sold the shirts last year and she hadn't wore it in a very long time, but decided to wear it that day. Her husband wasn't supposed to come as early, but he got finished early and came home. Their dryer had went out the night before and her mom had referred her to us to either fix it or buy another one. All of these things just are coincedence. I feel as if that was God's way of giving us some support and confirmation. We go back to the Pedi Neuro this Wednesday and we are beyond ready! I'm afraid it may actually hit me then.

Hunter has went back to waking up a lot and decided 3am was a nice time to wake up and play until 6am this morning so we are both pretty tired and ill today. I have a feeling that today may be a short day for us! Thanks for reading and keep us in your prayers as we travel 3 hours for our doctor's appointment this Wednesday!

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
It is nice to talk to other people who can relate to you. One of my best friends is an autism mom. We go out for breakfast every Friday morning. Glad you & your husband are connecting with others in the same boat. Autism can be very lonely sometimes. Good luck at your appt.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM

That is great you met someone else with a child with ASD.  Maybe you will become good friends and be able to support each other on your journeys!  Hope your appointment goes well this week!!!  My daughter was on the 3:30-6:00 shift as well, so I feel for ya there!! 

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:26 AM

It is a small world!  Hope all goes well at your appointment this week.  Plan lots of activities, snacks, etc for your goodie bag for the car ride and the long appointment.  Good Luck!

samomama
by Sally on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:44 PM

How nice it is to talk to someone that is in the same boat with you. I imagine how big that is for your SO especially. You may even become good friends with the family. These kind of coincidences put a big smile on my face.

Good luck with the appointment!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:58 PM

This is a great story. I believe it was meant to be. That God had all this happen for a reason. That he wanted to know even in your small town you were not alone in this.

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:56 AM
How incredible for you both. We are 4 years into ds being diagnosed. My husband hasn't found another dad going through this. Men are funny about comforting each other.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 25, 2014 at 5:52 AM

I'm so glad this happened for you guys!  Hugs!

auntkissy
by Karissa on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks everyone! We are having our first play date this Saturday! I am beyond ready!
terri-553
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:27 AM

hugging

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)