Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

A request, please, UPDATES in blue

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM
  • 21 Replies

My 9 year old ADHD/Autistic twin boys are in 3rd grade and will be taking the PSSAs for the first time next week.  It's four days of greuling mandatory state testing and there is no doubt that both boys are WELL PREPARED for this testing.  We all know they are going to do VERY WELL!!!

CJ (my A/B student) is cool as a cucumber about the testing and really isn't trying to worry.  He feels he can't get out of it so he might as well go in there and do it and get it over with!!  

Michael (my STRAIGHT A student) is stressing himself out something terrible.  His teachers and school counselors, his TSS Worker, BSC and Mobile Therapist, his brother and I have all told him he is going to do very well so don't worry.   The boy is making himself crazy over this.  

I was wondering if you all could send him good luck wishes and let him know that he is going to ROCK THE PSSAs???  It might help him relax about it knowing that complete strangers believe in his abilities so maybe he should too!!

UPDATE #1 ~ Four Days Of PSSAs ~ Day 1 went awesome!!  Their first test was math at 9 this morning.  Students were given 65 minutes to complete the test and the boys were finished in 20 minutes!

UPDATE #2 ~ Four Days of PSSAs ~ Day 2 went well!!  They took the first of 3 reading tests yesterday morning at 8:45 and they had 70 minutes to complete.  CJ told me that his test was AWESOME and he was able to finish his test well before the time ran out.  Michael said he had some difficulty with his reading test but he too was able to finish before the clock!  I think they both had different reading tests because they're on different reading levels.  Then they both had a 5 minute break before the next test which was math and began at 10:00 and they had 60 minutes to complete.  Both the boys told me it went well and again they completed their work before the time ran out!

UPDATE #3 ~ Four Days of PSSAs ~ Day 3 was smooth sailing for the boys!!  When I was scurring around yesterday morning trying to get things ready for them I forgot to give them their meds and boy what a disaster that would have been!!  I QUICKLY contacted Ms. Lulu, CJs TSS Worker, and told her and she agreed to come get their meds and give them to them once she got in school.  Totally my fault but at least I realized it in a timely manner and avoided complete meltdowns during testing!!  The boys reported that both the reading and math tests were rather easy yesterday!!  They said that testing the day before was much harder then the tests they took yesterday!!  They are very relieved that there is only 1 more to go then they are FINISHED for an entire year!!  They were more excited about their After School Readers Theater Club performance that they were starring in yesterday.  I am so proud of both of them, they read their lines with such confidence!!  I really believe that this readers theater club helped CJs reading skills tremendously!!  Stay tuned for my final update!!

FINAL UPDATE ~ Four Days of PSSAs ~ Day 4 was the easiest of them all!!  I am so glad they progressed from hardest down to easiest for these kids.  They were completely done all this years testing by 10 a.m. yesterday morning and the rest of the day was spent enjoying various activities and a movie for the students.  Now all I have to do is wait for their test scores...THIS IS THE HARDEST PART FOR ME!!  HAHA  I'm sure they've done very well, even their teachers told me they have done amazing!!!!  

Thank you for all the supportive good luck wishes for the boys and allowing me to bore you guys with their updates.  Since they've worked their little tushies off this school year, today I'm taking them to see

Then to dinner.  I REALLY DESERVE HIM....oh....oopsie, I mean THEY...yeah there we go....THEY DESERVE IT!!!

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a 3rd grader as well (and live in PA) So I understand! Tell your boys I knw they are going to rock this and make us all proud! 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Good luck to both boys!
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Your Michael sounds like my Michael! The classic overachiever!

GOOD LUCK,  MICHAEL!! You''l do great!

josiah0927
by Shanta on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Good Luck Michael!! You're going to do great!! you rockway to go

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Breathe Buddy!  You got this!

samomama
by Sally on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck Michael! Good luck to CJ too!

GrammaJane46
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Michael, I'm a school teacher and I know you are going to do very well in your testing.  You have studied all year long and gotten straight A grades, so you know everything you need to know!  Your brain will find the information for you much more easily if you are relaxed during the testing.  I know you can take a deep breath and do it.  I'll be waiting to hear how you did!  

good

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this

You will do great! 

I always like to think of the worst case scenario... Last time I failed a test my birthday still came (and I got great presents) the holidays still came (and I got great presents) My family remained healthy, everyone still loved me, my friends were still my friends, and my family was still my family, the sun still came up, and silly jokes still made me laugh, so in the big picture, that test really didnt matter to much..... :) I was in 3rd grade.. Since then Ive graduated elementary school, middle school, high school, got my undergrad from a good university, got my masters from a good university (for my feild) worked successfully for 12 years.. In those 12 years I got married, bought a house, had a kid... So life has  been ok... Dont sweat it!!!! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:16 AM

Good luck to both of them!

terri-553
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:12 PM

good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)