Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

New to group, fired for caring for autistic son

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:54 AM
  • 18 Replies

Hello all,

I wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Mary and I have a 6 year old middle of the spectrum autistic son.  I am currently at home with him full time.  I had a good job but was terminated due to missing 7 days in 6 months, court 4 times, twice the bus stranded him, his school was calling a lot to pick him up, and changing schools.  They changed his school about three times in 4 months, one of his teachers great idea to mainstream him (he lasted 90 min before meltdown).

Thanks,

Mary

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Welcome to this group!  These Mom's have been extremely helpful on our journey and I hope you find the same.  

Sorry you lost your job.  Our kids needs are demanding and the juggling act we do is stressful.  Our motto is one day at a time.  It's a lot.

I hope you find support here.  

dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Did they call IEP meetings on the school changes? It is not legal to change a Special Education placement at all with the schools or classrooms without adjustments. You might want to read http://www.wrightslaw.com/, http://www.thearc.org/, and http://www.autismspeaks.org/.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM

That really sucks, I'm sorry that it happened to you.  Are you looking for another job or will you continue to stay home with your kiddo?

Welcome to the group!

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Also find an attorney that deals with the Family leave act and see if it was illegal to fire you. If so sue their pants off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marymar20202
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Hello,

Yes I had about 6 IEP's in 3 months.  I also had a few calls where they couldn't deal with his "aggressive behavior", he pulled an employees name tag, he also lunged at a little girl because they took his toy away and gave it to a little girl.

I am applying for IHSS because I don't think I can get another job with how much he needs.  Childcare for him is very expensive and he tends to scream most of the time when he is there.  He is also very delayed in a lot of areas that he shouldn't be, last month he got mad and peed on the floor in the middle of his classroom (he has also peed on staff).  He will also eat pencils, erasers, and legos. 

He really needs to be watched all the time, can't look away for a min.  He doesn't always notice cars, heat, cold, injuries, or hunger.  He knows how childlocks work, which is a challenge.

Mishy2
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I am sorry you got fired, that doesn't seem fair.

BaBeezandMe
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.  I am very sorry about your job.  BIG HUGS

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Hugs.. Rough spot. im home too knowing I couldnt work with my son. he needs me here too.. And yes, the phone calls, meetings, juggling-- I know any job I had would suffer and frustrate me (-and them). 

i hope you figure something out. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Welcome to the group Mary. I know that it's hard working and handling a child on the spectrum. A lot of jobs don't understand the amount of things we have to do. I stay home full time with my kids. My son is 3 and was dx at 2 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:16 AM

Welcome and hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)