Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

CDC puts out new numbers

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:15 PM
  • 110 Replies

As of today March 27 2014 the CDC put out the new numbers on autism. The numbers are 1 in 68. They say  1 in 42 boys and 1 in 189 girls have autism spectrum disorder diagnosis. It's scary to me to see the numbers rise. Jonathan was dx less than 2 year ago and at that time the numbers were 1 in 88. So in less than 2 years the numbers jumped by 20. What is your take on this

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly it makes me sick to my stomach. This is an epidemic. Something has to change and nobody has any idea WHAT to change.
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:43 PM
2 moms liked this

It is getiing a little ridiculous.  There seems to be a need to show it is increasing and call it an epidemic, but we don't know how many autistic adults there are.  How do we know it is increasing when we don't know what it was before?  This is the only thing I could find on rates in adults. Every article I found about rates in adults quoted the same study.

http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/in-brief/2011/clinical-research-autism-rates-in-adults-higher-than-suspected

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Guess I'm not surprised.  With genetics one of the factors, it can only grow.  And the other several factors won't exactly decrease either it seems with so much unknown.  If only awareness could spread as fast!

Mishy2
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I agree - I wish Autism Awareness would spread as fast! 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Guess I'm not surprised.  With genetics one of the factors, it can only grow.  And the other several factors won't exactly decrease either it seems with so much unknown.  If only awareness could spread as fast!

A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I sort of agree.  I'd much rather the Autism Acceptance movement spread fast, though.  Too much of the Autism Awareness campaign seems to be rooted in fear and scare tactics.

http://www.autismacceptancemonth.com/about/

Oops, I corrected the link.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Oh. totally agree!! I kind of use awareness and acceptance interchangeably on disabilities, lol!  Yes, Yes.  Let's all accept what is! 

Quoting A_McCool:

I sort of agree.  I'd much rather the Autism Acceptance movement spread fast, though.  Too much of the Autism Awareness campaign seems to be rooted in fear and scare tactics.

http://www.autismacceptancemonth.com/about/

Oops, I corrected the link.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:15 PM
7 moms liked this

Hmm...maybe one day most people will have autism and we'll have to have NT awarness lol :) 

Linda733
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. The NT kids will be the minority! This is just so ridiculous and something MUST be done!!! 

Quoting lady_katie:

Hmm...maybe one day most people will have autism and we'll have to have NT awarness lol :) 

Linda733
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I'm sad to say I was not aware of autism and the statistics at all before, during or after my pregnancy. It's was only until I saw changes in my son did I become aware of all this information. I honestly never recall every even hearing people discussing autism. Now that our lives have been affected by it, it's shocking to me that I never heard a thing about how ramped autism was and how many children suffer from it. That's a scary thought that there are so many people out there who are just like I once was. Hope that makes sense. :) 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I just heard about that... Wow... I'm surprised and yet I'm not...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN