Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I can't believe it

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM
  • 28 Replies

I really can't believe it.  It's just all so new to me right now, and I can't believe my son will get all this help.

I made a post last week about my son being evaluated for Long term care Medicaid and the EDCD Waiver in the state of Virginia.  Well, he was accepted and received the waivers.  I should have the official letters by the end of April at the latest.  

Not only does he qualify for up to 45 hours/week of a personal care attendant & 40 hours/month of skilled respite (LPN), he also qualifies for another Medicaid program called EPSDT (Early, Periodic, Screening, Diagnosis, & Treatment), and through this program, he will get private duty nursing for 8 hours/day, 7 days/week.  

Oh. My. Goodness.  My son will have his very own private nurse that will be with him 8 hours each day, going with him to school, appointments, therapy, wherever he goes, the nurse goes.  

I'm speechless, grateful, and amazed right now.  

We met with the Director of Nursing for the company that we are going to work with for his private duty nursing and skilled respite.  She was very nice and Brady loved her.  

His services should start around the beginning of May.  

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvnoah10
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

That's great! Glad you were able to get all this help for him...Now you can relax alittle!

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:36 PM

That is so much help and well deserved! Now you won't have to worry about Brady's physical health while he goes to school and therapies. He will have a nurse there to make sure he doesn't get sick unneccessarily and they will keep him healthy and with you for as long as possible. Your son takes so much more work than most and you shouldn't have to do it alone! You should be able to breathe and know he's being well taken care of even when you're not the one doing it. Hugs mama ..... so glad you didn't have to fight long and hard for these services, that the state saw the need right now. 

So happy for Brady!

samomama
by Sally on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I am so happy for you and Brady, Darby! And that he got even more services that you anticipated he would! His own personal nurse. Nice! I hope it will be one that Brady grows to like her a lot.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Great news! All that hard work and filling out paperwork paid off. So happy for you folks !

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Wow Darby! This is such great news. I can't believe you got it all without a fight. I am so glad that Brady will have a private nurse. It will take some of the care off your hands and give you a much needed break. You guys ROCK!!!!!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:54 PM
That's awesome darby
Latina_Star
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM
This is fantastic!!
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Amazing!
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM

That is just awesome!!!  Congrats! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 28, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Thank you so much for your supportive and kind words!  

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

That is so much help and well deserved! Now you won't have to worry about Brady's physical health while he goes to school and therapies. He will have a nurse there to make sure he doesn't get sick unneccessarily and they will keep him healthy and with you for as long as possible. Your son takes so much more work than most and you shouldn't have to do it alone! You should be able to breathe and know he's being well taken care of even when you're not the one doing it. Hugs mama ..... so glad you didn't have to fight long and hard for these services, that the state saw the need right now. 

So happy for Brady!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)