• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well, that only hurt a little

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:49 PM
  • 4 Replies

Today I went to a playdate at a place that has hiking trails. My daughter loves being outside so I thought it would be good. Well ...... she didn't do so well. She was throwing her head and body around, flapping her arms frantically, and she threw herself on the ground a couple of times. Another mom there had a little girl who was 4 or 5. She came up to me and said my kid was freaking her out. Her mom gave her a dirty look and told her that wasn't nice. 

The mom's in the group I'm in are very supportive ..... the mom of the little girl is even becoming a substitute teacher in a complete inclusion district and she wholeheartedly supports inclusion. 

The little girl's comment didn't really bother me that much, but it just made me wonder how many other people have looked at my daughter and felt uneasy to be around her?

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jowen905
by Jan on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean.  It wasn't so bad when my son was younger, but he's 12 years old, 5'5" and 135 pounds.  People don't bat an eye at a toddler skipping, or twirling or talking to themselves in the grocery store, but a big kid attracts some attention.

But on the other hand, my son has made comments to me about other kids with physical or behavioral differences, most of them just innocent observations, but one time he told me he didn't like a young man that he saw because he looked different and was kind of loud.  Of course, I had the conversation with him, acceptance, people are different, etc. etc., but there was something about the man that made my son uncomfortable.  To me, he looked like a sweet young man and responded with a smile when I said hi to him.

I don't want others to be uneasy around my son, but it's probably happened and will happen again.  I'm not sure what my point here is!  I guess try not to let it bother you too much.  People have their opinions and feelings and most of the time we try not to let negative reactions mean that much to us.  It's ultimately more important what we think of ourselves than what others think of us.  Always easier said than done, though!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:54 PM

The other day someones little boy said "hes weird" and He was talking about Sam.. i looked at him and said, we are all weird sweetheart! Every single person on this earth is weird in one way or another! 

I would much rather hang out with honest, caring weirdos then some fake, judgey normals... :) 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:28 PM
And how I second that!

Quoting SamMom912:

The other day someones little boy said "hes weird" and He was talking about Sam.. i looked at him and said, we are all weird sweetheart! Every single person on this earth is weird in one way or another! 

I would much rather hang out with honest, caring weirdos then some fake, judgey normals... :) 

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Oh, sorry Mama!  People find my kids wierd or scary sometimes too.  The unknown can be frightening.  If it's a friend worth having, they will figure it out and accept them as you do.  If not, it's not worth it.  Hugs!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)