Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you take anything for anxiety?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM
  • 21 Replies

Lately I've been having what I thought were asthma attacks but I'm now thinking they are actually anxiety related. The urgent care doctor and my family doctor both said my oxygen levels were normal and my lungs sounded clear but I still feel like I'm suffocating and can't get enough air. I guess I'm somewhat shocked that its anxiety, since I'm usually a very happy and optimistic person. But lately I've noticed these "attacks" happen when I'm thinking about my son. I'm way more stressed out since he has made such a  big breakthrough because I'm so scared he's gonna backslide (he's done it twice before). I'm trying natural remedies right now to try and manage my stress levels but I'm gonna need something extra to get me through these next couple months (we're moving and I'm job hunting).

Any suggestions? I hate to take rx drugs but at this point I'm desperate for some relief.

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:51 PM

No I don't, but I should.  I too am very positive about my kids and their challenges.  But boy, do I have anxiety!!  I too have tried to avoid meds, not sure I will make it long term there. 

It has been suggested to me to try yoga, excercise, meditation, no caffine, healthy eating, deep breathing, prayer if you are religious.  I won't say I've found a combination that helps me.  I hope you find something that works for you.  Anxiety sucks.  Hugs!!

Jenn8604
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:53 PM
I don't have anxiety issues. I do have anger issues with stupid people tho :) probably need counseling for it. Won't waste time going til I get to the point of knocking someone the fuck out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jowen905
by Jan on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I take Prozac daily to control my anxiety and Xanax as needed for panic attacks.  How long have you been having these attacks?  I, too, hate to take rx's, but as I'm neurologically-challenged, that is all that helps me to "feel like myself".  Once I got myself past the stigma of having to take medication to function, I realized it's my brain chemistry (or lack thereof!) that's responsible and I have to do what it takes to alleviate the anxiety.  You have to do what you feel is right for you, no one else.  Best of luck to you.  Feel free to ask me anything!

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Zoloft and Xanax

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I use young living essential oils. I find using the oil Valor helps my anxiety and I use peace and calming at night and I diffuse stress away (as well as other oils I feel help my mood)  during the day. Oils are the most calming thing I've found so far but I still have my days. I have never taken meds for anxiety or anything related but I have friends that do and it's really helped them. Hugs! 

Linda733
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Celexa and kolonapin unfortunately. I'm not proud of it believe me and sometimes it makes me feel like I'm a weak person but it helps and that's what I need so I'm back taking them. I only take the kolonapin when needed though and I like you feel the anxiety and the tightening in my chest when I think of my son and overload my brain with a million thoughts of him.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:19 AM

1 glass of a nice wine 2 times a week.. Exercise 3 days a week (with spin class) walks outside/playing golf outside.. The fresh air will help my mood and yoga... 

No meds here. I will say I have taken them 2 times. When my MIL was dying of a brain tumor. she was sick and declining for 9 months with no home, We as a family took care of her. My FIL only looked into help for the last 6 weeks.. And even then it was minimal (because this is what she wanted) so I was working 60 hours a week and staying up one night a week caring for her, changing diapers, feeding her, She was 63. So I needed something... I stopped taking it about 2 weeks after she passed.

The second time I had 3 good friends, and lI had a HUGE falling out with one-- then the other 2 sided with her.I w  as devastated. My son had recently been Dxd as Aspie (he was 4) my hubby works crazy hours, I have no family.. My friends were my family.. So for 3 months I took something.. But I hated the side effects, so I stopped.. By then I realized what an ass she was and found wayyyy better friends. 

JennaPBug
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I've had them off and on my whole life, usually in social situations. I really thought it was my asthma though, I'd even take a couple puffs on my inhalor. I was on zoloft for a bit in high school after being labeled "mentally disturbed", I had thought the school counselor was the crazy one,lol. Do you experience any side effects on those meds?

Quoting jowen905:

I take Prozac daily to control my anxiety and Xanax as needed for panic attacks.  How long have you been having these attacks?  I, too, hate to take rx's, but as I'm neurologically-challenged, that is all that helps me to "feel like myself".  Once I got myself past the stigma of having to take medication to function, I realized it's my brain chemistry (or lack thereof!) that's responsible and I have to do what it takes to alleviate the anxiety.  You have to do what you feel is right for you, no one else.  Best of luck to you.  Feel free to ask me anything!

mom4awesomekids
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM
I take effexor for depression and anxiety.
JennaPBug
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Does it make a difference if you can breathe through your nose or not? Up until about 2 months ago I had severe congestion, so I couldnt smell anything. I had sinus surgery last year, so maybe now that I can breathe through my nose, the essential oils will be more effective.

Quoting Charizma77:

I use young living essential oils. I find using the oil Valor helps my anxiety and I use peace and calming at night and I diffuse stress away (as well as other oils I feel help my mood)  during the day. Oils are the most calming thing I've found so far but I still have my days. I have never taken meds for anxiety or anything related but I have friends that do and it's really helped them. Hugs! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)