Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BDI 2 EVAL UNFAIR!!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:44 PM
  • 11 Replies

Zachary had his second BDI Eval today and these tests are so unfair. First, this woman is a stranger and he's not always good with new people and doesn't always warm up right away. He had just had a therapy session which didnt go well and then this woman comes to ask me 1,000 questions (some ridiculous) and have my son do activities. Well, he chooses today to be non compliant so since he only did a few things asked of him he scored lower than he should have. Everything I asked him to do or this woman he has done in therapy hundreds of times but he just wanted no part. My son is per every therapist "his cognitive skills are off the charts". Well he scored low and low on self care but I knew that was going to happen because we are working on a lot in OT therapy right now. 

My other issue is this woman was rushing my son and wouldn't even give him time to settle in and my son is very visual so he needs to look at things and examine them prior to putting a puzzle together or building blocks with pictures and numbers etc on them. She tells me I'm sorry and wish I could stay longer to see him do everything but I have 10 more of these tests to do today and I'm trying to get them all done so I can go home!!! WTH!!  So because you want to go home and call it a day you aren't giving these children, mine included a fair chance? 

Im pissed but I found out I can have the school do the same tests and perhaps Zachary will have a better day and perform better. I just want to be sure he is properly placed in the appropriate class for his needs. I suppose worst case the teachers will see what he's capable of and then make any changes if necessary.

Its been every evaluation that he chooses to not comply lol It's like he knows or something. Like he's thinking "oh not this again!!" Lol

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maxsmommy123
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Well that was kind of rude to not give him any time... Poor guy!
mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:54 PM
I have the opposite problem. Everyone is always giving Liam the benefit of doubt....oh, I think he can do that, I'll give him that point. Or, well he's had a long day but I'm sure he can do it. And, well he's young still so we don't expect him to really do that yet so it's ok.

And then he doesn't qualify for anything. Blah!

For your little guy, I don't *think* a low cognitive score would have much effect on his placement for preschool. The teacher will get to really know him and by the time he is going into kindergarten, they will know him and how smart he is. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Same here ..... they'll say, "I know she has it in her, she just doesn't want to do it today." I was afraid she wouldn't actually get diagnosed because the developmental pedi was like "I can see her difficulties but then she does something, I see something that makes me think maybe no."

Quoting mypbandj: I have the opposite problem. Everyone is always giving Liam the benefit of doubt....oh, I think he can do that, I'll give him that point. Or, well he's had a long day but I'm sure he can do it. And, well he's young still so we don't expect him to really do that yet so it's ok. And then he doesn't qualify for anything. Blah! For your little guy, I don't *think* a low cognitive score would have much effect on his placement for preschool. The teacher will get to really know him and by the time he is going into kindergarten, they will know him and how smart he is. :)

Linda733
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:30 AM

It really was and if you don't have the time to invest, why are you doing this type of work? 

Quoting Maxsmommy123: Well that was kind of rude to not give him any time... Poor guy!

Linda733
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Thank you. I definitely want him to qualify I guess it's just frustrating to see your child not do things you KNOW he can do. That's probably what's bothering me most :( 

Quoting mypbandj: I have the opposite problem. Everyone is always giving Liam the benefit of doubt....oh, I think he can do that, I'll give him that point. Or, well he's had a long day but I'm sure he can do it. And, well he's young still so we don't expect him to really do that yet so it's ok. And then he doesn't qualify for anything. Blah! For your little guy, I don't *think* a low cognitive score would have much effect on his placement for preschool. The teacher will get to really know him and by the time he is going into kindergarten, they will know him and how smart he is. :)

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:43 AM
OMG!!! The school did that to my daughter too. They scored her so high in some areas it was unrealistic. It is insane. We are trying again to get her into special ed preschool. I feel like we are going up against people who don't want to help her at all. We are loosely working with an educational advocate (though we are praying we get assigned an advocate and one will come with us to the meetings). We have a new updated private assessments from a neuropsychologist who is notorious for taking schools to court on behalf of kids. So hopefully with all that the school will finally give my daughter the services she needs.

Quoting mypbandj: I have the opposite problem. Everyone is always giving Liam the benefit of doubt....oh, I think he can do that, I'll give him that point. Or, well he's had a long day but I'm sure he can do it. And, well he's young still so we don't expect him to really do that yet so it's ok.

And then he doesn't qualify for anything. Blah!

For your little guy, I don't *think* a low cognitive score would have much effect on his placement for preschool. The teacher will get to really know him and by the time he is going into kindergarten, they will know him and how smart he is. :)
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:05 AM

I think he has proved his point,,, our kids on the spectrum are unstable, scattered, unpredictable in mood, dysregulated. Sure, he didnt prove his cognitive point, but he proved his need for spectrum support. :) perhaps yo should look at it that way.... :) if he isnt put in a challenging academic situation, once he gets there and gets comfy, maybe they can move him to a different room... But the important thing is getting him the service to start with. 

One of Sams providers once told us.. They JUST need to qualify... We as the therapists decide what happens after that... My son qualified for PT x45 2 times a week in the beginning... After 2 months, the PT put thru paperwork for 3xs a week. Sam qualified for OT 1x45, after 3 months the therapist put in for 1 additional OT as well as Sensory request.. And Sam got that... The PT put in a request for speech eval since he was uninteligible.. (Do to useing words too advanced for his age) and voila, we got speech 1x45... The speech preson put in for feeding therapy.. The feeding therapist came, Sam had a GREAT day eating whatever, chewing well.. And BOO, no feeding therapy. :( 

I had a GF who would deny her child a nap on days with evaluations so they would purposely be semi disasterous since she was such a compliant little girl with starnagers and 1:1 attention.. But she needed more support (friend has 3 older kids, KNEW her DD was not developing typically... ) 

Linda733
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I had a nice conversation with the service coordinator and his therapists and they said the same thing. He just needs to qualify and he did because he wouldn't comply. So I know it's a good thing in hindsight but I guess as a mom I just know his skills are so amazing and it hurts me to see him not show what he's capable of and look like he's not as intelligent as he is. I do know the worse they do the better it is for them. Which makes sense but sounds crazy. One of his therapists once told me parents have given their children Benadryl or lots of sugars prior to an eval so they wouldn't do well and get services lol. The things parents must do to ensure their kids get the help they need. Zachary also didnt take a nap because he had therapy from 11:30-12:30 and then this woman showed up at 12:35 to do the test so that didn't help but in our autistic world, it did :) 

Quoting SamMom912:

I think he has proved his point,,, our kids on the spectrum are unstable, scattered, unpredictable in mood, dysregulated. Sure, he didnt prove his cognitive point, but he proved his need for spectrum support. :) perhaps yo should look at it that way.... :) if he isnt put in a challenging academic situation, once he gets there and gets comfy, maybe they can move him to a different room... But the important thing is getting him the service to start with. 

One of Sams providers once told us.. They JUST need to qualify... We as the therapists decide what happens after that... My son qualified for PT x45 2 times a week in the beginning... After 2 months, the PT put thru paperwork for 3xs a week. Sam qualified for OT 1x45, after 3 months the therapist put in for 1 additional OT as well as Sensory request.. And Sam got that... The PT put in a request for speech eval since he was uninteligible.. (Do to useing words too advanced for his age) and voila, we got speech 1x45... The speech preson put in for feeding therapy.. The feeding therapist came, Sam had a GREAT day eating whatever, chewing well.. And BOO, no feeding therapy. :( 

I had a GF who would deny her child a nap on days with evaluations so they would purposely be semi disasterous since she was such a compliant little girl with starnagers and 1:1 attention.. But she needed more support (friend has 3 older kids, KNEW her DD was not developing typically... ) 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM

it is hard when our kids dont 'comply" to the best of their ability. I wont deny that... I see it with Sam often. Sam is so comfy at home. He can engage, have an awesome conversation, seem completly NT. We walk into school, the security guard says Hi Sam... Sam doesnt respond... sigh... LOL... I know it seems like a poor comparison.. but, I just want you to know I totally get it... Our KIDS can be SO great... and it often breaks my heart that NO ONE gets to see how AWESOME they are... even on the holidays when Sam couldnt handle sitting at the table with 19 other people and the smells from the homemade dinner.. and my cousins 2 kids 9, 7 were making everyone giggle with their "f-ing cuteness." it broke my heart a little cause no one sees that from Sam. Its VRY hard to get use to (see Im not use to it yet)... so BIG hug for it Linda...

Quoting Linda733:

I had a nice conversation with the service coordinator and his therapists and they said the same thing. He just needs to qualify and he did because he wouldn't comply. So I know it's a good thing in hindsight but I guess as a mom I just know his skills are so amazing and it hurts me to see him not show what he's capable of and look like he's not as intelligent as he is. I do know the worse they do the better it is for them. Which makes sense but sounds crazy. One of his therapists once told me parents have given their children Benadryl or lots of sugars prior to an eval so they wouldn't do well and get services lol. The things parents must do to ensure their kids get the help they need. Zachary also didnt take a nap because he had therapy from 11:30-12:30 and then this woman showed up at 12:35 to do the test so that didn't help but in our autistic world, it did :) 

Quoting SamMom912:

Linda733
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

You summed it up perfectly! That's how I feel. As if nobody sees what I see and it is hard to get used to. I want the world to see the amazing child that he truly is! Thank you for that. Big hug to you too Scarlett. 

Quoting SamMom912:

it is hard when our kids dont 'comply" to the best of their ability. I wont deny that... I see it with Sam often. Sam is so comfy at home. He can engage, have an awesome conversation, seem completly NT. We walk into school, the security guard says Hi Sam... Sam doesnt respond... sigh... LOL... I know it seems like a poor comparison.. but, I just want you to know I totally get it... Our KIDS can be SO great... and it often breaks my heart that NO ONE gets to see how AWESOME they are... even on the holidays when Sam couldnt handle sitting at the table with 19 other people and the smells from the homemade dinner.. and my cousins 2 kids 9, 7 were making everyone giggle with their "f-ing cuteness." it broke my heart a little cause no one sees that from Sam. Its VRY hard to get use to (see Im not use to it yet)... so BIG hug for it Linda...

Quoting Linda733:

Quoting SamMom912:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)