Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I really shouldn't, but......

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:28 AM
  • 19 Replies
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

I really want to wear this to our IEP meeting next week!
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:56 AM

Lol.... Not a good call if you want to work with them.. Maybe save it for when you need to show up to the meeting with an educational attorney? 

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:28 AM

Love this! But I don't see me having the guts to wear it anywhere outside the house.  But the sentiments? Ooooh yeah . . . ;)

tracy0812
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
After fighting the school all year long, and them giving my son detentions repeatedly, and then suspending him for stimming, I am so ready to wear it!

Quoting SamMom912:

Lol.... Not a good call if you want to work with them.. Maybe save it for when you need to show up to the meeting with an educational attorney? 

tracy0812
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, I have the guts! LOL! Not a problem for me.

Quoting Ajisai43:

Love this! But I don't see me having the guts to wear it anywhere outside the house.  But the sentiments? Ooooh yeah . . . ;)

Rocky1012
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I totally agree. I am so tired of fighting for them to give me a list of school that are available and have academics for my 9 yr old granddaughter.Shes ageing out of her school and all they keep pushing schools with no openings or just life skills. I would wear the shirt I may just have one made for myself. Thanks for the idea.

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Quoting tracy0812: After fighting the school all year long, and them giving my son detentions repeatedly, and then suspending him for stimming, I am so ready to wear it!

Quoting SamMom912:

Kudos to you. I have found that gut instincts tell you what you need to do when you need to do it. Stirring noise gets more action if you have tried for so long with no changes

Suspension for stimming. Come on. Go Mom!
Raleigh_mommy
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM

SO right there with you! I wish I'd had this shirt for my IEP meeting on Wednesday! --How ironic for us that we met on National Autism Day just so they could tell me that my son needed further evaluation and some time out of the mainstream classroom. - We decided to pull him and just home school him until we can determine where to go from here. - So unhappy with public schools and their lack of preparedness to deal with special needs kids. - The school psychologist and counselor were USELESS. In fact, after one particularly bad episode a few weeks ago, they tag-teamed him with disciplinary actions in the main office: by the time I got there, he was just out of control.  -- I am now looking for better placement for our son-- but the best of schools here cost around $20,000 a year!!! Ouch! - And we are being bled dry by the ABT that the insurance company will not pay for. --- So I'm all about wearing this shirt, because others get to live in their blissful ignorance while I struggle to do what's best for my boy, whom I love dearly. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh, I just want to wear it out in public for all the judgy idiots I run into!

dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM

You have to realize that most teachers in the Autism classroom have the teacher certification for teaching students with Autism. It is not the case every time. It does get frustrating though with the principal and mainstream teachers because most are not certified in Special Education (www.wrightslaw.com).

tracy0812
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
None of his class teachers are certified in Spec.Ed. Neither is the Vice Principal, who is "head" of IEP ' S in his school. We now have the principal, superintendent, and director of Special Ed involved. We have also contacted Disability Rights of Ohio, and the Office of Civil Rights.

Quoting dawncs:

You have to realize that most teachers in the Autism classroom have the teacher certification for teaching students with Autism. It is not the case every time. It does get frustrating though with the principal and mainstream teachers because most are not certified in Special Education (www.wrightslaw.com).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)