Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

stitches anyone? a bit tmi/graphic?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:54 PM
  • 32 Replies

My 7 yr old son (asperger's, ocd, odd, spd, and a mood disorder) is high functioning. . . HOWEVER. .

He was bitten by a dog yesterday evening. .. A good sized dog.

He now has stitches in his thigh, and had to have a little reconstructive work on his penis (the dog got his penis ina manner that as the urologist said "peeled the skin off his penis like one would peel a banana). . . He lost over an inch of "damaged tissue" (skin on his penis) and they had to reattach it to the shaft and such. . .

So, theres stitches and everything. . Just not pleasant.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to get him to cooperate during bandaging time. He gets so worked up and stressed over it. All I need to do is rinse it well, put ointment on it (so it stays moist since its in a sensitive area), and put nonstick gauze on it like a little hat. .  then were done. . .

Any tips?

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Oh my, huge hugs mama for all of you dealing with that!  Um, dog bit skin off penis....BRIBE and do not feel bad.  Chocolate, ice cream, whatever will make him buck up to get it done.  Maybe also do it in front ov tv or fav movie so he is engrossed in that and not watching you?  Good luck!

Lucky2BaMomof2
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM
5 minutes short of 2 hours and it is done!

I've used bribery :-( tomorrow I'm buying popsicles.. Hoping those will work better than video games..

Now I'm listening to him explain the differences between the jurassic, triassic, and cretaceous periods..

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Oh my, huge hugs mama for all of you dealing with that!  Um, dog bit skin off penis....BRIBE and do not feel bad.  Chocolate, ice cream, whatever will make him buck up to get it done.  Maybe also do it in front ov tv or fav movie so he is engrossed in that and not watching you?  Good luck!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep my son would do just about anything for a lollypop & now it's donuts. So sorry poor kid (((hugs)))
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 5, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh no!  Poor little guy!!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I just want to cry for him, that sounds so awful!  Poor kiddo.

Definitely stick with the bribery, or see if you can get HIM to do the ointment.  

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

OUCH! Poor guy! Is there a way to bribe him. Maybe use of an IPAD or phone or something he really loves while you are doing it?

Lucky2BaMomof2
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Ok.. So an update..

Bribery is failing horribly..

Extra xbox time, popsicles, ice cream, etc.. Nothing works..

I am still trying..

He's outside sitting at the table playing cars with one of his friends.. Later this week we get more info on future procedures and possible outcomes from this incident..

Still trying to.figure it all out..

Lucky2BaMomof2
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Ohh and he won't do the ointment himself.. He flat out refuses!
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM

What dies he want??? Ask him.explain you know its not pleasant. You know it hurts a bit. The dr says you have to do it.. What will help him??? 

TV, video (distraction)? 

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I feel terrible for him! What happened to the dog?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)