Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

AUTISM--SENSORY RELATED QUESTION

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:55 AM
  • 8 Replies

I noticed my daughter was different when she would start to cry and throw a tantrum when another child would though I thought it was because she was empathetic.  i als noticed her covering her ears with other loud-ish sounding things like the blender, lawnmower, vacuum but figured that most people would react that way as well.  My question regarding sensory though is more as to being desensitized to pain mechanisms such as eating really spicy food (loved my habanero BBQ flavored almonds), not noticing when she scratched herself and broke skin and was bleeding or falling, etc.  Should I take her to a neurologist or which doctor do I take her to in order to check this out?? 

Question 2: Did you get your ASD child genetically tested to see if her symptoms were related to something else that mimmicked autism related mannerisms? 

by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
neveragain17
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:00 AM
H daughter is high functioning and she has sensory disorder. She did have genetic testing done. Her pediatric dr sent us to a neurologist when she was 15 months old.she ha had an EEG and a CT scan done. Everything has come back normal. We are however waiting for a MRI because she wasn't able to walk and she's 2 1/2 and is walking but she shows left side weakness.
Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:24 AM
Pain, unless he saw the blood, he was fine, didn't matter what happened, he would keep going. He wouldn't stop until either, someone freaked out, or he saw blood. And to this day, a small band-aid fixes all... lol

Food: he started eating my hot tamales as early as him eating gummy foods. Now, he has said he does not like spicy food, so tacos and the like are out, but he loves hot food....

Testing: I honestly don't remember what all he had originally, it was a hectic time frame. We are starting with a new developmental ped soon, so I am sure we will start this new round all out, mostly since our last base had nothing to offer, and our current one has almost too much. lol
MixedCooke
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:26 AM

Quoting Mi_Chelly: Pain, unless he saw the blood, he was fine, didn't matter what happened, he would keep going. He wouldn't stop until either, someone freaked out, or he saw blood. And to this day, a small band-aid fixes all... lol Food: he started eating my hot tamales as early as him eating gummy foods. Now, he has said he does not like spicy food, so tacos and the like are out, but he loves hot food.... Testing: I honestly don't remember what all he had originally, it was a hectic time frame. We are starting with a new developmental ped soon, so I am sure we will start this new round all out, mostly since our last base had nothing to offer, and our current one has almost too much. lol

what is the difference between a regular pediatrician and a developmental pediatrician??

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:31 AM
I'll be finding that out myself either end of this month or sometime next month.

My son was diagnosed when we were stationed in Germany, so the military EDIS program observed and tested him. He stayed in EDIS until we moved to Idaho, found out EDIS is only for overseas bases, but the base in Idaho had nothing, same with the town, everything was via the school there. And they were lacking.

Got here and have been offered a referral to a developmental ped., so taking the offer.

Quoting MixedCooke:

Quoting Mi_Chelly: Pain, unless he saw the blood, he was fine, didn't matter what happened, he would keep going. He wouldn't stop until either, someone freaked out, or he saw blood. And to this day, a small band-aid fixes all... lol Food: he started eating my hot tamales as early as him eating gummy foods. Now, he has said he does not like spicy food, so tacos and the like are out, but he loves hot food.... Testing: I honestly don't remember what all he had originally, it was a hectic time frame. We are starting with a new developmental ped soon, so I am sure we will start this new round all out, mostly since our last base had nothing to offer, and our current one has almost too much. lol

what is the difference between a regular pediatrician and a developmental pediatrician??

wildchild.com
by Janine on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:03 AM
When my son was younger it didn't seem to bother him if he fell & bumped his head. But the older he got (he's 9) the more he seem to have a "normal" reaction. I'm not sure if he learned this was the reaction he should have or what. Also it always seems like a delayed reaction.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM

My son is sensory defensive, so even a papercut is the end of the world. he is auditorily defensive, so loud noises (only unpredictible--- like children squealing at a birthday party vs loud music at a fair) he is visually defensive (so chaos bothers him- so the noise of the fiar music wise is ok, but the chaos of the situation is troublesome) he is not orally defensive so needs spicy food to taste food in his mouth, pasta, rice.. Feels mushy and yucky... So he needs high taste for "feedback" to his brain to know there is food in there.. So high taste, or crunchy, or A lot (overstuffing issues). 

You need a sensory OT for SPD.. 

A developmental pediatrician- picture 3 circles... One circle on the left is the regualr prediatrician.. The circle on the right is a child psychiatrist.. The developmental pediatricians cicle spands thru the middle of the psychoatrist and the ped. Make sense. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Kids with sensory issues can be extra sensitive to certain things or undersensitive to certain things.  My son is the same way.  Overly sensitive to temperature, bright lights, touch, some sounds.  But no clue at bumps/bruises, doesn't notice smell, etc. 

No, I did not get him genetically tested and don't plan to.  He has autism, period.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Yes, my son had genetic testing done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)