Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Giving consent

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM
  • 24 Replies

Have you given consent for the psychiatrist/psychologist or therapist to talk directly with the school? There's a form the school keeps pushing for us to sign and give to the psychiatrist so they can talk with him without having to go through us. 

by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lasombrs
by Sara on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Probably. I do my best to have them all work together. They just never do
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I do sign consent for some doctors/therapists, not all.  I use to almost blindly sign all, but have had some awakenings on why not to do that.  My kids have a lot of doctors/therapists and it can get confusing for the school to call the right ones about right things, making more of a problem.  I bring them in copies of paperwork that seem pertinent information to the school.  I'm very educated in my children's issues, so I can speak for them well.  I'm at the point where I ask what it is they are wanting to discuss with them before I decide. 

Do you know why they are pushing for it and what they are looking for?

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Unfortunately I have learned I can't trust the school so I am part of every communication. We haven't withheld any information it's just the school tries to put it's "spin" on things so I have learned I have to keep them honest.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Been there.  Sorry Mama!

Quoting Gloria1025: Unfortunately I have learned I can't trust the school so I am part of every communication. We haven't withheld any information it's just the school tries to put it's "spin" on things so I have learned I have to keep them honest.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM

They put on the form that their reason is to align support services to provide DS highest opportuities for school services. It would be going to the Alt. Ed. teacher, and she checked everything for info requested, and added academic, behvioral, social, and emotional for the assessments.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I do sign consent for some doctors/therapists, not all.  I use to almost blindly sign all, but have had some awakenings on why not to do that.  My kids have a lot of doctors/therapists and it can get confusing for the school to call the right ones about right things, making more of a problem.  I bring them in copies of paperwork that seem pertinent information to the school.  I'm very educated in my children's issues, so I can speak for them well.  I'm at the point where I ask what it is they are wanting to discuss with them before I decide. 

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:13 PM

If they want copies of assessments, could you get those and give them a copy?  This way you have the same information they have and there are no surprises.

Quoting sunshinepraying:

They put on the form that their reason is to align support services to provide DS highest opportuities for school services. It would be going to the Alt. Ed. teacher, and she checked everything for info requested, and added academic, behvioral, social, and emotional for the assessments.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Thanks. It's fine now that I know.  I just make sure I am aware of all information being shared.  It is disappointing that I can't trust people's motives all the time though.  

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Been there.  Sorry Mama!

Quoting Gloria1025: Unfortunately I have learned I can't trust the school so I am part of every communication. We haven't withheld any information it's just the school tries to put it's "spin" on things so I have learned I have to keep them honest.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:56 PM

So far, there have been no assessments, but yes, I could easily give them a copy. I only wonder if I should give consent in case they could try talking to each other to see what is going on..maybe that would help the psychiatrist been understand and he can give better advice to the school? Not to mention how the psychiatrist wants DS to have an IEP evaluation and the school doesn't seem to think he should. They told me the psychiatrist wouldn't know how they work in school and therefore doesn't realize the help he is getting already. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

Quoting Gloria1025:

If they want copies of assessments, could you get those and give them a copy?  This way you have the same information they have and there are no surprises.

Quoting sunshinepraying:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:58 PM

I'm sorry the school is doing that. Our school isn't putting a "spin" on things, but I can't say I fully trust them. That could just be me though

Quoting Gloria1025:

Thanks. It's fine now that I know.  I just make sure I am aware of all information being shared.  It is disappointing that I can't trust people's motives all the time though.  

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Been there.  Sorry Mama!

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Back when dd was in 1st grade I gave consent for the school to talk to the therapist. The principal called the therapist and demanded that she be more punitive with our daughter.  Fortunately, the therapist refused and let me know that there was a problem.  I managed to avoid the consent forms until this year (7th grade).  This time I signed the form with the psychologist with specific limited instructions as to what to share with the school.  They have talked but the school is always up to something - so it depends on the people that are involved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)