Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

When did your child ..

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:49 PM
  • 36 Replies

1) Sleep on his/her bed in his/her room?

2) Learn to Pedal a tricycle or a bicycle and did they ride outdoors?

3) After how many weeks/months of staying dry in the day(no accidents), did you attempt potty training at night? What were the problems you faced?

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Simran81
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM

1) My son is 3. We co-sleep. He fears the dark, fears entering a room alone, so sleeping alone seems far fetched.

2) He hates tricycles. He likes his closed car, he feels secure in it.

3) He doesn't have any accidents in the day, but he wears a pull up at night. Was wondering what is the right time and how to start potty training at night.

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:56 PM
My son has always has his own room and bed.

We've tried to teach him how to ride a bike but he just can't seem to grasp the Concept yet, but we try every year.

NY son has been potty trained for both day and night since he was 3. That was the one thing that was really easy: potty training. He had it mastered after a few days.

My son is 6 years old.
deadlights86
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM
My 5 yo Ds got his own room a little over a year ago. Not sure about the peddling and he just finally got potty trained all the way in the last month or two.
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Sleeping in bed, around 12 months. He is 6 and still will not ride a bike. He has been fully potty trained since last summer.

jowen905
by Jan on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM

My son's 12 -

He's always slept in his own room.

I think he could ride a tricycle at around 3.  He was about 10 before he could ride a bicycle and he's still not really comfortable on the bike.

He was pretty well potty trained during the day at about 2 1/2 yrs.  He wore pull ups at night. At close to 4 years he started having some dry nights and we made a big deal out of when he could start wearing his big boy pants at night, too.  He'd have one or two dry nights in a row, then it went to 4 or 5, and I think at 6 dry nights we went to big boy pants.  He only ever had 2 wet nights, and both were when he was sick.  My suggestion would be to really not "try" to potty train him at night - it just has to happen when their urinary tract systems have matured.  Best of luck!

Simran81
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Thank you, that really helps. I didn't want to mess with his sleep. My neighbours told me they trained their kids by putting alarms and waking their kids up from sleep and taking them to the potty in the middle of the night. I was just not feeling like doing that.

Quoting jowen905:

My son's 12 -

I think he could ride a tricycle at around 3.  He was about 10 before he could ride a bicycle and he's still not really comfortable on the bike.

He was pretty well potty trained during the day at about 2 1/2 yrs.  He wore pull ups at night. At close to 4 years he started having some dry nights and we made a big deal out of when he could start wearing his big boy pants at night, too.  He'd have one or two dry nights in a row, then it went to 4 or 5, and I think at 6 dry nights we went to big boy pants.  He only ever had 2 wet nights, and both were when he was sick.  My suggestion would be to really not "try" to potty train him at night - it just has to happen when their urinary tract systems have matured.  Best of luck!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Brady has slept in his own crib/bed since he came home from the hospital.  He doesn't know how to pedal a tricycle very well...he's getting there though:)  He's 5.5 years old.  No potty training yet.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Ashton is 9 and he's been going to sleep in his own bed and room since he was 2 but even still will get up in the middle of the night and come to our room... 

He does not like pedaling at all and hated the tricycle  and can ride a bike with training wheels but does not enjoy it..hoping its something we can work on this summer.

He was pee trained at 4, poop trained at 5 and nighttime trained at 6

jowen905
by Jan on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Oh, I wouldn't either.  I've heard of using alarms, but only when the child was much, much older and was still wetting at night.  I think my neighbors did this whole alarm routine with their son, but he was 13 or 14 and still having issues at night and they had consulted with a Urologist.  And my son has an NT friend, who's 12 and still occasionally has issues.  You just never know!

Quoting Simran81:

Thank you, that really helps. I didn't want to mess with his sleep. My neighbours told me they trained their kids by putting alarms and waking their kids up from sleep and taking them to the potty in the middle of the night. I was just not feeling like doing that.

Quoting jowen905:

My son's 12 -

Jan

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM

My son was a year old when he started sleeping in his own bed. Until then he slept in a crib next to mine.

He is just now learning to ride a bike. He will be 4 in 2 weeks

We are still doing the day training. We still use a schedule and then if he drinks alot that day we add in more potty times

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN