Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My son did...

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:31 AM
  • 8 Replies
I hate it when I am talking to certain co workers ( and other people) and I tell them something my son did, and they are quick to say, " well normal children do that too!". I don't blame everything he does on his autism, sometimes I am just trying to relate to your nt children as well. That is just one of my pet peeves.
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tiffyhamm
by Tiffy on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:35 AM

I get that all of the time too.  Usually it's when they are attempting to dismiss his or other's diagnosis.  I really hate it though.  When I am talking about something my son did and it relates to his Autism, that's one of the things that I would prefer talking with others who get it and understand Autism.  However, lots of times I'm just describing behaviors I think pretty much all boys would do and a few folks still want to throw that, "all kids do that" phrase at me.  I'm thinking, "that's not what I was getting at...but whatever."  It gets frustrating at times and I can understand your frustration with it as well. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Sorry Mama.  I'm stuck in a spot where I don't feel understood by typical parents and am even struggling with some local SN parents making connections.  I swear I'm gaining a social interaction challenge like my kids.  Although theirs is lacking ability to do it, mine is lacking desire to keep on trying.  LOL!  You can always tell us what amazing things your child does.  We understand why they are important and are always supportive.  :) hugs!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I hear ya. That's why I love this group. If I post that my son talked or we got through the supermarket without breaking something everyone here is like"wawhooo". But if I said this to an nt mom you can hear the crickets chirping Lol
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Hugs . I know the feeling. To play devil's advocate, one of the traits of life on the spectrum is that the smallest things are a big deal. A lot of NT don't see the small victories as a big deal. Spelling bees, tournaments, etc. are cause for celebration. Different perspective.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree here.  I usually agree with you:)  I have just about nothing in common with parents of kids that are NT.  It's just hard for me to relate.  Some SN parents don't have much in common with me either.  I'm hard to be friends with...LOL!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Sorry Mama.  I'm stuck in a spot where I don't feel understood by typical parents and am even struggling with some local SN parents making connections.  I swear I'm gaining a social interaction challenge like my kids.  Although theirs is lacking ability to do it, mine is lacking desire to keep on trying.  LOL!  You can always tell us what amazing things your child does.  We understand why they are important and are always supportive.  :) hugs!

coleysmama
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:59 AM
Hmm, IDK I think all parents do that whether parents of NT or SN.
I have 2NT and my youngest is SN. I've gotten and given the "all kids do that" for my NT also. Sometimes it's a way of relating and sometimes it's a way of telling you not to worry. I don't think I've ever been told that in a negative way.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:36 AM

I think that's so mean! But they say that because they have no idea how happy we become when our kids really do something that NT kids do!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:19 AM

I'm the same way!!!  I was just telling the kids teacher it is so wierd, but I can't find my place anymore.  I don't feel right with the NT parents unless it is parents of my oldest son, and I don't feel right with the SN parents locally as our issues/perspectives on disabilities just are not even close to the same.  Thank goodness for the internet! lol!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Totally agree here.  I usually agree with you:)  I have just about nothing in common with parents of kids that are NT.  It's just hard for me to relate.  Some SN parents don't have much in common with me either.  I'm hard to be friends with...LOL!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)